TL-R480T+ router hangs when connected to 2 or more ISP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-28 16:02:04
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 9.0.3 Build 20200313 Rel.38262

I recently bought a TL-R480T+ router and when I try to connect 2 or more ISPs the router hangs.

The CPU runs at 100% and the internet connection disconnects frequently.

If I connect only 1 ISP, then the CPU is at 5 - 10% and everything runs smoothly.

Below is my configuration which causes the issue:

1. Networks -> WAN -> WAN Mode -> 2 or 3
  2. Transmission -> Load Balancing -> Basic settings
    1. General -> Enable Load Balancing -> [Checked]
    2. Basic Settings 
      1. Enable Application Optimized Routing -> [Checked]
      2. Enable Bandwidth Based Balance Routing on port(s): -> [Checked]
        1. Selected [WAN-1] and [WAN-2]

Please assist.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-R480T+ router hangs when connected to 2 or more ISP
2021-07-29 08:46:36

@crater6000 

When two modems are connecting to the WAN ports and the internet is disconnected, the status on two WANs is linkup or linkdown? Can you still see any WAN IP address on two WAN ports?

Do you need to reboot the router to recover the internet or the internet will recover automatically by itself?

When the device get disconnected, you can check the IP address, Default Gateway and DNS on the PC itself to make sure the DHCP function is still working.

At the same time, try to use the Ping command to test the connection, Ping 192.168.0.1(router's IP), Ping 8.8.8.8, Ping WAN IP address you see on the router's Web UI.

How about resting the router? What is the model number of your two modems and who is the ISP?

Options
2021-07-29 10:04:11 - last edited 2021-07-29 10:07:56

@John1234 

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.

Please see the responses in blue:

When two modems are connecting to the WAN ports and the internet is disconnected, the status on two WANs is linkup or linkdown?

- The status is linkup.

Can you still see any WAN IP address on two WAN ports?

- Yes it's there.

Do you need to reboot the router to recover the internet or the internet will recover automatically by itself?

- The router CPU is always 100% as is mentioned earlier. Even the reboot does not help.

When the device get disconnected, you can check the IP address, Default Gateway and DNS on the PC itself to make sure the DHCP function is still working.

At the same time, try to use the Ping command to test the connection, Ping 192.168.0.1(router's IP), Ping 8.8.8.8, Ping WAN IP address you see on the router's Web UI.

- I have disabled the DHCP for this router. I have configured a static IP address.

- Ping to 192.168.0.1(router's IP) drops and during the same time Ping to 8.8.8.8 and WAN IP drops.

How about resting the router?

- Does not help. I also did a factory restore and the result was same.

What is the model number of your two modems and who is the ISP?

- I have 3 ISPs:

1. WAN-1: Flashcom Fiber (Tp-Link MC220L Fiber Converter)
  2. WAN-2: BSNL ADSL (D-Link DSL-2750U ADSL modem)
  3. WAN-3: JIO 4G (Tenda N301)

I tried to enable only one WAN port and tested all 3 ISPs individually and it worked smoothly. If I enable more than one WAN port and try to connect all 3 WANs, it creates an issue.

Options
2021-08-05 07:39:15

@John1234 

I just found that the issue occurs when you enable the below settings:

Transmission -> Load Balancing -> Basic settings

1. General -> Enable Load Balancing -> [Checked]

If I disable the "Enable Load Balancing" then the CPU runs at 1 - 4% and there is no disconnection.

Please advice as I'm not able to use the Failover feature.

Options