Continues Wireless connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-30 14:10:07 - last edited 2021-07-30 15:27:58
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

Hi TP-link,

I recently bought these products:

• OC200 v1.0 (firmware 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757)
  • ER7206 v1.0 (firmware 1.1.1)
  • SG2428P v1.0 (firmware 1.1.1)
  • EAP225v3 (x2) (firmware 5.0.3)

..which were set up without any hassle. Firmwares got updated to the latest releases and minimal configuration was done to get all up and running. 

I have been playing with most of the settings so I could get a hang of how everything works. After playing around I factory defaulted every device and configured them as needed.

But I keep encountering the same issue over and over: Wireless connection issues on client devices:

• Oneplus 6 (firmware 10.3.12)
  • Playstation 4 (firmware 8.52)
  • Laptop with Intel Wi-fi 6E AX210 (Driver  22.60.0.6)
  • Google Chromecast with Google TV (firmware QTS1.210311.008.7350836)

I have different AP's to test with which don't show me this kind of problems.

I think I can summarize this to 2 items:

• Failing multiple times to connect to the SSID
  • Failing to get internet access once connected to the SSID

Along those 2 items:

• my smartphone intermittenly tells me the PSK isn't correct and to check it. Without changing the PSK, the phone connects after a while.
  • Upload speeds are higher then download speeds (ISP =300Mbps down, 20Mbps up)
    • measured down= 7 Mbps
    • measued up= 14 Mbps
    • TX/RX link speeds show the same behaviour, lower down, higher up speeds.

Things I have tried to fix this:

• Change DHCP DNS from auto to manual (10.0.0.2/1.1.1.2 or any other public DNS)
  • Disable CCK rates
  • Enable/disable Advanced wireless features( and every sub feature)
  • Play with transmit rates (disable 11b, 11g, n-only)
  • Going closer to the AP to exclude it's a range/coverage-issue
  • Forget/ factory reset/force profivision of AP's
  • Delete and recreate the SSID with default settings
  • Switch between WPA/WPA2; WPA2-only, WPA2/3
  • Switch channels (1/6/11 auto, same for 5Ghz) (with help from the chanel scan function)
  • Limit 2.4GHz to 20MHz band.
  • Limit TX power
  • Enable/disable Airtime Fairness
  • Enable/disable WMM
  • Enable/disable Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery
  • Trying with only 1 AP
  • AP's are mounted on the ceiling

All of this is offcourse done in SDN controlled mode.

This is a bit of a headscratcher for me.. What am I missing?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Continues Wireless connection issues
2021-07-30 15:20:48

@WtrN06 

Looks like everything is ok, the only thing I can think of is Airtime Fairness, if enabled many device go cracy and don't work very well.

Try to disable 2.4 and 5GHz if enabled. you find it on site, beacon control.

Options
2021-07-30 15:27:36
I forgot to mention that one, but played with that parameter aswel without success..
Options
2021-07-30 15:35:21

@WtrN06 

Ok for me its look like everything is ok, what about band steering? try to disable if enabled.

SSID with this configuration should work.

Options
2021-07-30 15:40:13

@WtrN06 

Things I have tried to fix this:

• Change DHCP DNS from auto to manual (10.0.0.2/1.1.1.2 or any other public DNS)

Try to set 1.0.0.2,  1.1.1.2 your ip is not public DNS.

1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 is preferred I think.

Options
2021-08-02 07:36:00

@WtrN06 

Don't play with the parameters if you don't know that. And, most of the time, the default one is the best. You don't need to change that. People use the default settings and get great performance.

It is strange. You've tried a lot. But still, have the issue.

Do you have the connection issue from the wired connection? Is your wired connection okay?

Remove one from the Omada mode, reset and use it under the standalone mode. Will you get full speed? Not influenced by the Omada. Make sure not a hardware issue.

Then, if you have everything works perfectly under the standalone, something must be wrong with the settings on OC200.

Options
2021-08-02 09:36:25 - last edited 2021-08-02 10:50:24

@shberge 

That was a typo, my bad. I did use 1.0.0.2 instead of 10.0.0.2.
Right now I defaulted to the ISP's DNS servers.

@Yannie 

I completely support your argument about staying away from unknown(to me) settings and keeping it simply by using the default settings.

But..  I am aware of what each function does. In my experience some functions are not always working as they should be or as expected.

That's why a big part of my troubleshooting steps included enabling and disabling functions 1 by 1 to exclude potential causes of my problem.

I always reverted back to the default settings before trying disabling/enabled a different setting.

The summary of these steps are a result of my own experience but also a mix from existing solutions/problems from others on this forum (and some other places on the world wide web).

Wiring should be OK, UTP's were cable-tested and connections itself show me the link speed is 1000Mbps. When using the cable test of the switch in standalone mode, the test was normal.

But I am considering to test the AP's with the included PoE-injectors instead of relying on the POE of the switch itself (for others this seem to fix some problems). Although cabled lengths don't exceed 20meters and there are no other dropouts of disconnects between switch and AP.

My whole setup was also tested in standalone mode, with the same issues.

I think i have to conclude it's environment related. I'll try to get my hands on a spectrum analyzer to see if there is an different cause.

I appreciate your help.

Options
2021-08-03 00:30:29
Sure. Some humble suggestions from my exp. Latest firmware. Test with new cables and in standalone, use the PoE adapter they included in the package, you get so slow speed like 7Mbps. That's not normal at all. You may consider it is defective? If you can change the environment (I mean physically go to somewhere else to test, office/friend's home. Different cables.) If you experience this no matter what you tried, even use the spectrum(WIFI) analyzer, pick up one of the best channels, you're still bothered by this, maybe contact TP support. Email/chat them for help. Could be a defective unit??
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 992

Replies: 7