Wanna router of 2km range, for business, any one help?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-07 04:11:33
Model: Archer A10 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

for my business requirements I wanna a router that ranges 360 degree with 2km area. any suggestions regarding?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Wanna router of 2km range, for business, any one help?
2021-08-09 07:50:38

@WAQASPK 

It's absolutely impossible for a wireless router to transmit for 2 km with 360 degrees. Long distance transmission needs to overcome a lot of challenges, mostly the environmental interference and transmission loss. The longer the distance is, the more interference it will have, and the more packets it will lose. You can regard the wireless signal as a ripple in the water, the more you go to the outer circle, the less energy there is, and the worse the signal is.

Normally, 2.4G can transmit maximum 20 meters and 5G 15 meters. However, there are some devices do transmitting signal kilometers away, like TP-Link CPE series. The reason is that they use high gain directional antennas to concentrate all power and signal on one direction, thus the signal can be transmitted further, but they still can't cover 360 degrees.

What's more, even if there is a device that can do what you said, your client devices 2 km away will not be able to connect and send the response packets back because those devices don't have high gain antennas to capture the signal from that far. So eventually you won't get internet.

If this long distance transmission is necessary for you, you should read this article to learn what the correct application should be:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/configuration-guides/common-applications-for-pharos-products/?configurationId=22033

PS: to achieve this, you have to sacrifice a full range of coverage angles.

Options
2021-08-13 15:02:57

@WAQASPK 

You likely can achieve this, but not with a single AP

You would need at least 4 (possibly 6 or even 8) sectorized APs, something like the CPE510 mounted around a post to beam the coverage in each 60 degree angle.   I have done this once for a weather station setup using 4 in a   North, east, south, west setup and it worked

However all need to be on separate channels and its messy, doable but messy

Also don't forget that sending the signal 2km from the CPE510, doesnt mean that a mobile phone will be able to reply from 2km.   Its likely able to see the signal, just wont have the power to reply.    You will need a similar setup on each receiving node. 

What are you trying to achieve here, don't mind me asking!

Options
2021-09-03 10:51:42

@Philbert I have successfully tried out that setup with 4 CPE 220s and they are working fine. On paper, the CPE horizontal beamwidth is 60° but practically i found it covers much more than that, so for 360° coverage I opted not to use 6 but 4.

Options
2021-09-03 15:21:20

@AustinNzioka.-_ 

Happy days, glad the CPE done the job for you!   They are good devices, not that I have needed to use them that much

Good note about the angle, never actually tried it myself and always went with the 60degree it says..  good to know thanks :)

Options
2021-11-23 12:18:57 - last edited 2021-12-07 11:06:21

Thanks for the information!

Options
2021-12-06 07:43:05

@Katy1212 

Thanks

Options
2021-12-07 11:07:31
Really helpful, I hope I will find what I need in my little town. However, talking about business, to be honest, I haven't thought that I will have so much paperwork. And I couldn't find someone to make some stamps for me, so I looked for a rubber stamp maker to make it by myself. On this site https://mystampready.com/en/constructor/, it is very easy and quick to make, I also used it when I had to design the packaging of my products.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 839

Replies: 7