SFP modules won't communicate with each other

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-15 21:14:25
Model: T1700G-28TQ  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 20190108 Rel.62365(s)

I have connected my T1700G-28TQ to a Netgear ProSafe GS716T through SFP / fiber.

I am using the SFP module TL-SM311LM in the TPLink switch and the SkyLane SFP85P55GE0B989 Rev A SFP module in the netgear.

The applicable port in the TPLink switch is set to 1000M (I am told you have to set the correct speed, there is no speed negotiation between two SFP modules).

The TP link says the link is up and connected at 1000M, the applicable let is flashing. On the neatgear, however, the connection led is not lit and the setup of the netgear indicate the links is down. I do seem to have a connection but it's running at approx 1mb/s.

If I use a media converter (so cat6 cable from the TPlink switch to the media converter which converter connects to the Netgear switch), the Netgear springs to life immediately and operates at the expected speed.

I am using the same SFP module in the TP-link switch to connect to another router and they work more than fine.

So, it looks like I am using the correct SFP modules, right? Still, when connecting the Tl-SM311LM to the Skylane SFP85P55GE0B989  it just won't work.

Would any of you have any ideas what goes wrong here? I guess it's possible tecnically that two modules simple don't 'like' each other or is that simply never the case?

Could it be a setting in the TPlink I should change?

Thanks for your help.

Options
4 Reply
Re:SFP modules won't communicate with each other
2021-08-17 07:13:28

@Gerco 

I guess they are incompatible. You'd better use both modules from the same brand.

Options
2021-08-17 07:23:36

@Somnus 

Thank you for your reply.

I fear that this is indeed the case.

I am not sure if I can find two SFP modules of the same brand since one device is a TP-link and the other a Netgear. The manual says to use AGM731F coded module. Now, I am no techie but it's my guess that the manufactor/brand should be irrelevant, the module should just have this AGM731F coding. Or are there other physical aspects of the module that can indeed play a role? 

Options
2021-08-17 16:39:05

@Gerco 

I think @Somnus means only SFP from the same brand (not switches and SFP from same brand).

Options
2021-08-18 08:07:37

@Libik 

That's what I understood indeed, maybe my reply was not clear enough on this. 

I have spoken with the company I bought the network stuff from and both them and me guess we have a pretty uncommon situation where two sfp modules are not compatible with each other. And to answer the question you might want to ask. In both Netgear and Tp-link the port-settings are set to 1000M because that is the speed they need to connect with. 

I ordered a Tp-link switch with the same SFP module as my TPlink T1700 switch uses for 1000M connections (I also have a second TP-link switch T1700 that connects with 10G, SFP+,  acting as a backbone in my house). My neighbor needs a new switch and he will be taking over my Netgear since the other switch he is using does connect to the NetGear SFP module. 

Options