Poor Overall Performance when one of two WAN Links is performing poorly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-02 09:25:04 - last edited 2021-09-02 09:26:44
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

Hello Everyone, 

I was looking for an answer where a WAN Link is not down but is poorly performing ( Packet Loss, High Latency etc) 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/274984?replyId=629928

The issue is that when Er605 is set as a Load Balancing Mode with Failover , and one link performs poorly, The whole internet starts to suffer.

Ideally , the Primary link which is working fine should takeover in this case , but apparently, if there is a 50 Mbps Link A and 50 Mbps Link B , and Link B has performance issue,  The internet in that case performs poorly and the good link A doesn't help. The speed which should ideally be 100 Mbps drops even below 50 even when one link is working. 

Am I making sense ?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Poor Overall Performance when one of two WAN Links is performing poorly
2021-09-03 01:56:14 - last edited 2021-09-03 02:00:38

@iVaibhav 

Hey,

I think what you need is load balance, not link backup. Link backup is designed to work when primary WAN is completely down. This feature is based on online detection. Every two minutes, the router will ping the DNS server of the WAN ports to detect whether the WAN is online. If the primary WAN is detected as offline, the router will switch to the backup WAN and continue to work.

However, if the issue is just on the poor performance, the ping of online detection will just get latency, not completely timeout or no response, so the WAN will still be regarded as online, and won't switch to the backup WAN.

It's hard to define how long the latency should consider as poor performance. If the parameter is set as a short time, the online detection will be very sensitive, and the network will jump between two WAN connections back and forth, and during the switching time, you will experience no internet in a short time. If the parameter is set as longer, I think it won't have apparent help in this matter, and may even lead to more complicated problems.

This is just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 1

Related Articles