Getting clients to connect to the strongest AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-14 07:07:24

I have three Omada EAPs behind my R605 providing a good WiFi signal throughout the house - if only the clients would connect to the strongest AP respectively...

Wouldn't that be something the controller could handle in a smart way? 

By default, the Omada controller doesn't interfere with clients' choice of AP. One way of preventing my usual suspects from connecting to the wrong AP would be to simply ban their MAC address on the forbidden AP, but I don't like the idea of having to adjust my network setting everytime one of those devices is moved to a different room, so I'm curious if this cannot be solved in a better way using Load balancing -> RSSI threshold. 

I've tried, but it looks like the Omada controller is not able to handle this in a smart enough way. If I'm not mistaken, there are two problems:

1. Setting a threshold of, say, -75dB on all access points may lead to a weak client constantly being kicked off the network, essentially loosing connectivity. Is this correct, or will the controller allow a client to connect at a lower signal strength when the client isn't able to ger a better connection from any other AP on the network? 

2. Setting an RSSI threshold on all APs will limit the reach of the network outside the house, i.e. my phone would be kicked out of the network when I'm outside even when the connection still would be perfectly fine to use. 

I realize that #2 is basically a special case of #1 but wanted to mention both scenarios nonetheless because one concerns stationary clients while the other concerns mobile clients. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Getting clients to connect to the strongest AP
2021-09-14 11:22:32

@toffee 

Why not try enable fast roaming?

Options
2021-09-14 21:05:18

@shberge Does fast roaming also work work with basic 2 GHz IOT devices? 

I didn't see the other options that only appear when fast roaming is checked. If someone from TP-Link is reading this: I think it would be more user friendly if those hidden options were instead greyed out. 

I'll try the settings ypu posted. 

Options
2021-09-14 22:20:46 - last edited 2021-09-15 04:00:21

@toffee 

Device have to support fast roam, and the most of the IoT device don't, they so called smart device is not very smart when come to wifi.

I have a lot off access point and 30-40 complete stupid IoT Device. if they hav a week signal they use it even if a stronger access point is available. to help device to go to a stranger access point you can also use this settings on 2.4 GHz channel. this help me allot. du not set data rate mor than 12 , then device find a access point and connect with12 Mbps or higher.You can also require client but i don't think this is necessary.

RSSI Threshold is no good solution, very often client don't connect if RSSI is to low and don't roam to another access point.

so enable fast roam, and 802.11 rate control 

Rate control is setts under SSID configuration.

Options
2021-09-21 16:30:37

@toffee 
I have similar a bar-restaurant wanted a simple 2 room set up specifically to allow the ard payment machines to "roam" 

and  low the Bar card m/c connects to the restaurant AP and vice versa
I have tried staggering reboots
I have tried switching between  2.4GHz or  5GHz or both 

changing channels but no the machines connect and stay connected  to the weaker signal 

almost like blinded by the stronger option - other devices on the  Phones, tablets don't 

The good news is we are  going to let it settle 

I suggested that the Card machines may be optimized to work in poorer signal environments 

If they stay connected and function that is all I ask 

Any thoughts 

Options