TL-R600VPN Web Filter When on Failover?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-14 17:26:43
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

HI everyone,

Is there any way to filter urls based on a specific WAN using this router?

basically i would like to be able to restrict high data consuming functions only when failover occurs

I have tried searching here and googling with no luck

we are using the tl-r600vpn units at several client sites

the sites are retail operations with about 6 Windows based machines connected to the router

we have a primary Cable ISP and are using a cellular for failover to ensure Credit cards can process when the primary ISP Fails (this is critical in the business)

as such we have cellular failover data plan that is 2gb shared between 4 devices/sites

Normally credit card authorization data with the processor would be a max of 20mb on a super busy month if the main isp was down that long (yes it is that litte we monitored for a few months to ensure we selected a plan appropriate for the business)

however our concern is windows updates and other non-critical functions such as offsite backup replication  and windows updates can be murder on a data plan

i have not been able to cook anything up so far and figured id ask here

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN Web Filter When on Failover?
2021-09-15 07:40:30

@Kunundrum0 I think the R600 router has no way to fully realize your needs, but you can consider setting policy routing, so that those devices that need to access high traffic websites only go through the main WAN port, so that even if your link backup is in effect, these devices to access those high traffic websites will not go through this backup WAN port.

Options
Re:TL-R600VPN Web Filter When on Failover?
2021-09-15 13:12:10

@Yannie 

awesome i see what you are saying great starting point and it looks like im goign to have to either find a more featured router to help goign forward or get firewall devices between the cellular and router but not a fan of adding another possible failure point lol

the client is in fl and we remote support from PA so sometimes the employees on site arent the most technically inclined

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 442

Replies: 2