TP-Link load balancer keeps falling back to backup connection - even when primary is active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link load balancer keeps falling back to backup connection - even when primary is active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-19 20:23:30 - last edited 2021-09-30 02:57:24
Model: TL-R470T+  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

I'm using the TP-Link TL-R470T+ load balancer to manage automatic failover between my primary connection (ISP) and a backup cellular connection (also provided by a TP-Link router).

I have a simple backup rule configured: if primary fails, fail over to backup.

On several occasions, I have found the load balancer using the backup / failover (cellular) connection when the primary connection seems perfectly intact. Upon manually removing the backup connection from the load balancer, I can confirm that the primary is working just fine.

Is there any reason this might be happening? And a way to diagnose what the root issue may be?

Thank you!

ETA:

Hardware: TL-R470T+ v6.0

Firmware: 6.0.4 Build 20200313 Rel.32850

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link load balancer keeps falling back to backup connection - even when primary is active
2021-09-30 02:30:19

@danielrosehill Hi

1. What's the hardware and firmware version of your router ? You can try to upgrade to the latest firmware and see if you can fix the issue.

2. You can try to set the mode of online detection to manual to see if it can solve your problem.

Options
Re:TP-Link load balancer keeps falling back to backup connection - even when primary is active
2021-09-30 02:55:08 - last edited 2021-09-30 02:57:59

Hi Yannie,

So unfortunately I've already taken the load balancer off my network.

My reasoning is that I should be receiving an updated product of yours in a few days (the TL-R605) and this one was not working as intended. So rather than attempt to troubleshoot this any further I'll just wait for the newer hardware to arrive and hope that it doesn't have the same issue.

However, I did make a video in order to record the aberrant functionality (I can't find any way of reaching TP-Link support so ended up not sending it).

It shows: Hardware version: TL-R470T+ v6.0 Firmware version: 6.0.4 Build 20200313 Rel.32850

I manually updated the firmware shortly after purchasing the router about 2 months ago so would be very surprised if it were not the latest one that TP-Link offers...

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 802

Replies: 2