Power consumption when WIFI is switched off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-21 08:17:45
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 (beta)
Hi everyone, 

I have a quick question on the subject of "Power consumption when WLAN is switched off". I set up a time control for my WIFI and assumed that the APs would at least reduce their performance. However, only the SSID is hidden/deactivated, the WIFI module is still active. The power consumption of the APs (EAP620 1.0.6 (beta), EAP660 1.0.6 (beta)) does not change. It should actually be possible to switch off the transmitter / receiver unit completely without putting the entire EAP out of operation?!
You could of course do this via POE on the switch using time control, but I don't know whether this is practical for the hardware. 
Is there a solution for this? Alone for reasons of energy saving ...

Best regards
Options
2 Reply
Re:Power consumption when WIFI is switched off
2021-09-22 06:44:17

@Mask1974 

How do you know “The power consumption of the APs (EAP620 1.0.6 (beta), EAP660 1.0.6 (beta)) does not change.”?

Are you using the Controller to manage the EAP and PoE Switch?

Currently, Controller cannot set PoE schedule on Switch…

Instead of “the SSID is hidden/deactivated”, how about disable the 2.4G/5G radio on the EAP? Any difference on power consumption?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Power consumption when WIFI is switched off
2021-09-22 08:35:11

I am using a power meter before my switch (TL-SG2008P with PoE).

Similarly, the performance is displayed in the switch. If I deactivate the Wifi as you have shown, the power drops from ~6.1 watts to ~ 4.1 watts (EAP620) and from ~7.5 watts to ~4.6 watts (EAP660). Thats ok.

Unfortunately, this does not work if I do this via the time control. Here is only the SSID deactivated, the power consumption does not change.

Yes, I use the OC200 Controller (4.4.4).

However, the PoE Scheduler works for me (even with the OC200) - (Settings -> Services -> PoE Schedule), but I don't think that its good for the EAPs to cut them off from power every day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 820

Replies: 2

Related Articles