ER605 FAILOVER NOT WORKING

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-24 08:36:10 - last edited 2021-09-24 15:38:33
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

WAN = Static IP address to WAN ISP router.  --> ISP OR Dyanmic IP address from WAN ISP router

WAN DNS = 8.8.8.8

WAN/LAN1 = PPOE WAN connection directly into er605 from ISP
WAN/LAN1 = 8.8.8.8

Enable Load Balancing : Checked

Enable Bandwidth Based Balance Routing on port(s):  = WAN + WAN/LAN1

When WAN link goes down i.e. WAN to ISP link down on WAN ROUTER (Not ER605)  TPLINK ER605 does not failover to WAN/LAN1 even when WAN/LAN1 is active.

As a result internet connection is seen as down to entire LAN from the ER605 router.

But  Menu --> Transmission -->Load Balancing --> ONLINE DETECTION TAB shows WAN as Offline and WAN/LAN1 as Online. Which is correct status.

I want the router to failover to WAN/LAN1 as it knows from the ONLINE DETECTION TAB that WAN is offline. 

FAILOVER only happens if I break the STATIC / DYNAMIC IP --> to WAN router link (buy pulling the wire or power off the WAN router).

If so then whats is the use of ONLINE DETECTION TAB? Why status in that is not used to failover. I want FAILOVER with WAN as STATIC IP ADDRESS.

Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 FAILOVER NOT WORKING
2021-09-27 09:37:47

@MLIS Hi

According to your description, I guess you want to implement the link backup function? There is a FAQ on their official website, you can refer to it to check your settings.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2133/

Options
Re:ER605 FAILOVER NOT WORKING
2021-09-27 17:34:44

@Yannie 

Thanks for reply.

When WAN ISP network was down, I tried  the link backup but it did not work. I was getting no reply to ping even with link backup configured.

Also problem with link backup is that it does not load balancer traffic when WAN is active. It just acts as backup

Only when I pulled the WAN wire out that failover started working as excepted with or without link backup did not matter.

I think it is a bug. I had to revert back to old ZERO SHELL Router using RAS PI. It functions as load balancer + Failover both combined.

When both WAN's are up they are load balanced, when ones goes down, automatic failover to one which is active regardless backup is configured or not.

I was hoping same with ER-605. But it lacks in this basic functionality.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3402

Replies: 2

Related Articles