Votes

Network For School Hostel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-26 01:23:04 - last edited 2021-09-26 01:30:25

Hi. I'm a networking student from a school trying to recommend our management to upgrade the school hostel network. I've designed a network diagram for my suggestion to our school management.

During the Teachers and Parents Association meeting, I've heard that they're suggesting to use 6, 30Mbps WAN connection. Our hostel have 7 blocks. Which means, our hostel is going to have 6 routers, 1 for each block (only 1 hostel block won't have a router). I felt like this is a ridiculous approach by them (idk maybe I'm wrong).

Here's the new network diagram I'm suggesting. The scale in diagram is traced from Google Maps.

Our network are going to be used by around 450 students. So, I'm suggesting to use 2, 800Mbps WAN connections since it could increase the bandwidth, right? I suggesting to give each student only around 5-8Mbps connection (controlled with pfSense).

For the network devices, I'm thinking of using Netgate 5100 for our router/firewall since I like to use pfSense.

For our access points, I believe TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 could do the work. Each block will have its own access point + one access point for our hostel mosque (green square in the network diagram). It will be powered by wall. I would like to have the mesh feature which each router is connected with Ethernet backhaul for reliability than using WiFi backhaul. These access points have AX WiFi which I think good for a long run.

To connect all of these switches, TP-Link TL-SG105 would be used. Since we're not using VLANs (I think), unmanaged switches is going to be our choice. This switch also support 1Gbps connection for every port. We will use UTP CAT5E for our local connections. For WAN, fibre will be used by our ISP.

I hope I could get feedback and suggestion to improve my plan. The lesser the cost, the better since we don't actually have a big budget.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Network For School Hostel
2021-10-25 11:37:14
FYI: All these devices below will be saturated with ~25 active users. So if you're going to assume 450 active connections you're going to need 18 APs. Suggestion: You may want to look at an eap-225 or eap-245 with oc200 controller. They're business level APs. https://www.tp-link.com/us/compare/?typeId=4908&productIds=25669%2C30676 They're both cheaper than the AX1800. Hope this helps.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 1

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.