New to Omada...some DNS/DHCP issues (v4.4.4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-29 21:43:52

Hello all you joyous Omada software controller users!

[begin joy] I was running a standalone ER605 v1 Gig VPN router and a standalone EAP AC1350 access point and all seemed to be good. I was able to administer both through a web interface or the Omada app on my iPhone and all was living in Happy Town. In preparation to add a second AC1350 and have more granular control and to mesh via Omada to enjoy seamless transitions between AP's, I installed the Omada software controller v4.4.4 on a Windows 10 box. [end joy]

1) First, adopting the ER605 caused its static IP I had configured for it of 192.168.0.3 to be reconfigured for 192.168.0.1 automatically. UGH...DOWN goes the network because the gateway changed. Didn't read the docs first so maybe that's covered and is MY BAD. C'est la vie!

2) I had an intricate DHCP reservation table set up in the ER605 prior to adopting it. GONE. Can't find it. Can't find where to set that up. Anyone know how I can get to it? The web interface doesn't want to work any longer because it is now "under new management"  [wink] and I am willing to bet that the DHCP reservations I had got wiped out with the adoption of the ER505 by the Omada software controller, eh? Where ARE DHCP reservations???

3) I had a DHCP scope set up with custom DNS servers specified. Can't seem to find anywhere I can specify the DNS servers for the DHCP scope. When I do an ipconfig /all on a Windows client I can see that the DHCP clients are using the default gateway IP for DNS name servers and they seem to be resolving DNS okay but I do not know what external name servers they are using. I did go ahead and configure the WAN interface DNS servers on the ER605...maybe the DHCP clients are getting their name server resolution from those IP's? 

4) I had a NO-IP Dynamic DNS entries in my ER605 virtual server lists. I can see the page that says "No Dynamic DNS entries have been created yet." on the Insight page under "Dynamic DNS" but I don't see anywhere to add it. WHERE in the heck do you re-create the entry at?

Thanks for any insight that can be shed!

Chuck

Options
4 Reply
Re:New to Omada...some DNS/DHCP issues (v4.4.4)
2021-09-30 08:52:47

@Chuckster59 As far as I know, once the er605 is adopted by the controller, all settings will disappear. You need to reconfigure your router on the controller.

Options
2021-09-30 18:29:21 - last edited 2021-09-30 19:19:07

Helpful a bit...I found the port forwarding (virtual server) under Transmission > NAT > Port Forwarding

NOW...where are the DHCP reservations?  

Options
2021-10-01 01:06:02

@Chuckster59 If my understanding is correct, the SDN mechanism is special, the device needs to get the IP from the router before it can set a static IP, and this static IP can only be set within the dhcp ip range of the router.

Options
2021-10-03 14:25:25

@Chuckster59 I believe you can only set static IPs at each individual client - there is no "master" static IP/DHCP reservation page as in most routers.  I've seen this feature requested on the forum.

Select the "Clients" view on the left side of the controller, select the client for which you wish to reserve an IP, and then fill in the static IP you wish in the details page for that client that slides in from the right.  It's under the "Config"  tab, then expand "IP Settings".

As someone else mentioned, you can only assign a static IP which is within the range being served via DHCP at the time of the reservation.  So if your DHCP server assigns in the range xxx.xxx.xxx.100 to xxx.xxx.xxx.254, you will not be able to reserve an IP below .100.  One workaround is to temporarily change your DHCP range (for example, .10 to .254), reserve client IPs, and then change the DHCP server back to it's .100 to .254 range.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1457

Replies: 4

Related Articles