DNS from WAN/LAN1 for certain devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-29 23:46:09
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have the TL-ER7206 with dual wan configured in controller mode.. I need some clients (could be by ip, mac but really if we get down to it..It has to be by dhcp vendor id or something) to get either dns set to whatever WAN/LAN1 gets or set to a forwarder that only queries DNS of WAN/LAN1.otherwise the TiVO device "estream 4k" will not play the cable streams (but youtube, internet work fine) I have verified this to be the case by force feeding the whole network with the relevant namesevers. My ISP' infinite wisdom knows no boundaries and aparrently they only publish the needec records internally.. angry

Is there any clean way to do this,

Options
2 Reply
Re:DNS from WAN/LAN1 for certain devices
2021-10-01 07:58:56

@crrodriguez You can consider configuring DNS manually in the router's DHCP server so that the device will not use DNS on the wan side after it is connected to the router.Remember to reboot your router, otherwise the release time may affect your settings.

Options
Re:DNS from WAN/LAN1 for certain devices
2021-10-01 15:26:58

@Yannie I have an ancient, terrible CPE device around (though not the one for ISP on WAN/LAN1) that actually has something like this..it offers a separate dhcp server for IPTV devices claiming to have a vendor id MSFT_IPTV or whatever_iptv vendor ID..with its own parameters.. actually I believe this is the purpose for the "option 60" dhcp advanced setting on the LAN wizard on the omada controller.. unfortunately there is no option to use DNS from LAN/WAN1 or similar so it can still break if the DNS server from the ISP changes..neither is an advanced view to see what DHCP vendor id does this device send, That will need tapping on the network and inspect the DHCP packet manually.. all of course a hassle.. sad

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 394

Replies: 2

Related Articles