ER605 dual wan setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 dual wan setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ER605 dual wan setup
ER605 dual wan setup
2021-09-30 13:14:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Greetings. I'm unsure with my dual wan setup and need some clarifications. 

Wan 1 - carrier modem ip 192.168.254.100

Wan 2 - 2nd carrier modem ip 192.168.10.100

Modems are carrier locked. 

Load balancing is active. 

ER605 192.168.80.1 

My pc 192.168.80.100

Today I suffered a cut line and wan 1 lost internet access but the modem is still powered on. 

I noticed wan 2 did not continue to supply me with internet access and what happened is I completely lost internet access. 

I tried turning on fail over feature (where wan1 is primary and wan 2 is backup line), but I still did not get internet from wan 2.

I only got internet from wan 2 when I completely powered down the wan 1 modem.

Is this normal? The only way for the ER605 to continue giving me internet is IF wan1 modem has completely shut down? Does the ER605 not detect that no internet traffic is coming from wan 1 and automatically keep using wan2? 

Thanks for any clarification that can given to me. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 dual wan setup
2021-10-01 02:03:06

@daddymadox Hey,

1. Have you set up the link backup function correctly?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2133/

2. Is your router working in controller mode or standalone mode?

3. Try to upgrade to the latest firmware and see if you can fix the issue.

4. You can also try to set the online detection to manual to see if there will be any problems.

Options
2021-10-02 07:03:58

@Yannie 

Greetings.

with regards to your questions, I have a couple of follow up questions as well.

1. Have you set up the link backup function correctly?

Currently using load balancing function

2. Is your router working in controller mode or standalone mode?

Standalone mode 

3. Try to upgrade to the latest firmware and see if you can fix the issue.

will try to see if there is an update i can download. 

4. You can also try to set the online detection to manual to see if there will be any problems.

I'm kinda confused how the load balancing would work in my ER605.  I figured that the router should be balancing the internet traffic between the 2 modems, even if one line bogs down or goes offline. should the router know that one line is offline /  has no internet access, and just primarily just use the other line 100%?

If I switch online detection to manual. What IP address should I use to ping? What DNS lookup IP should I use too?

Thank you for your guidance. 

Options
2021-10-13 08:42:30

@daddymadox 

1. Regarding how load balancing works, I found an explanation on their official website:

2. If you want the router to automatically switch to wan2 when wan1 goes offline, you must configure the link backup function.

3. Ping you can fill in 8.8.8.8, then DNS can fill in 8.8.4.4

Options
2021-10-13 13:41:39

Yannie wrote

@daddymadox 

1. Regarding how load balancing works, I found an explanation on their official website:

2. If you want the router to automatically switch to wan2 when wan1 goes offline, you must configure the link backup function.

3. Ping you can fill in 8.8.8.8, then DNS can fill in 8.8.4.4

Greetings Yannie

you are correct with how load balancing works.  but my problem is not with load balancing, it is when one of the WAN1 connection does not have internet service, the ER605 does not give me internet access from WAN2.  I have to physically TURN OFF the modem of WAN1 (the network line is physically dead) before the ER605 will switch me to WAN2.

I will try your recomendation with link backup. 

it's just funny that using the load balancing function of the ER605 with load balancing turned on.  the program does not supply internet traffic to another WORKING WAN when another WAN fails.

Options
2021-10-14 08:47:15

@daddymadox Hi,laugh

The failover function can only be realized if link backup is set. And I consulted tplink before, they said that the detection interval of this router is 2 minutes, if your WAN 1 is disconnected, you need online detection to detect that it is offline before switching to WAN 2. This means that after WAN 1 is disconnected, you have to wait up to 2 minutes to switch to WAN2, and then go online again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8468

Replies: 5

Related Articles