frustration with tp-link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

frustration with tp-link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
frustration with tp-link
frustration with tp-link
2021-10-16 12:35:40

Well i have  to have a moan here, while my equipment works very well in its default configuration as soon as you want 

to do any semi advanced topologies this is where you either pull your hair out or bounce you're equipment down the path

and move to either Cisco or Ubiquity, 

I have the tl-R605, OC200, and 2 AC1750 access points and an avaya nortel ers4000 L3 switch, like I said in default config they work great

but forget having fun doing config changes because it's far from fun.

1st tried setting up Vlans omg something so easy to do on Cisco devices as it just works and if it doesn't is pretty obvious why its not and a 

few commands later can have it done, on tp-link you configure find it does not work and have no feedback why and thats even if you can get your

devices to re adopt don't get me started on that one, no sod it as it's pectinate every time time I make any change 

my R605 goes into a configuring state, then adopting state then failed to adopt and then have to get out my trusty paper clip

and press reset for 15 seconds factory reset and hope that the config takes, if your lucky it will and happy days, but on several occations 

I have had to factory reset my entire network ap's, router, switch and controller don't think i needed to do the switch but might as well

at this point. 

Im not been funny but if I was using this for business purposes I would of already invested in Cisco or Ubiquity, the only bit of config that has been a breeze 

is setting the ip address and even this can become a problem, the default is 192.168.0.1 but say you want 1.1 well this can also cores problems 

adopting the R605. So just for your sanity I surgest that you keep the 0.1 range in there somewhere like management not sure if you subnet that range it will play nice

as im too gray now to try it.

There are some good point's but tbh I have forgotten them oh inter-vlan routing just works I suppose that could be good. 

sorry for the unstructured rant my head is all over the place and at the first opotunity I will be moving from TP-Link as I would 

like a weekend that I don't have to go through something, wouldn't be so bad if I lerned from the experience but you dont

as it's somewhat random something that dont work the first time will work the second or thired time. 

My advice is if your just looking for a setup to plug in and not do any config changes apart from NAT or singular then buy something else

as you will have an eaier time of it.

rant over till the next time. be interesting to here others rants in here and good experiences to, be interesting to see if it's because im in a multi-vender 

environment

J, 

Options
2 Reply
Re:frustration with tp-link
2021-10-16 13:07:02

@jaydeegee 

I understand your frustration :-) but you are wrong, TP-LINK is actually funny. I work with Cisco and unifi every single day, I promise you that the frustration is quite high many days.

Now I have TP-LINK as a hobby and it is much more fun to work with, TP-LINK also has many things that are much better than unifi, unifi also has lots that are better that it goes both ways.

But first of all. upgrade to latest version on Omada controller and router. then much of the problem is solved.

On the router, you can do this in stand alone mudus before adopting to the controller.

install Ver 1.1.1 on the router and the latest on your controller.

If you have question is this forum quite good,, if you want answer from TP-LINK add @Fae in your request then you get good help from TP-LINK

And Happy TP-LINKing with  smileymada SDN 

Options
Re:frustration with tp-link
2021-10-16 13:33:04 - last edited 2021-10-16 13:56:06

@jaydeegee 

And about your ip problem, change ip before adopt the router is pretty simple to do,  the only thing you cant change before adopt is WAN ip if you have static public ip, I hope this option will come on V5 software. this give problem if there is no DHCP on WAN and the controller is remote.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 405

Replies: 2

Related Articles