Passive on Active PoE Scenario

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-19 03:50:13 - last edited 2021-10-21 11:29:08

I'm planning to buy a PoE+ Switch (TL-SG1005LP) and an OC200. The controller itself has 802.3af compliance (active) but my current outdoor AP is not compliant (passive).

My concern is, can a passive-PoE-powered device be connected to an active-PoE switch?

I compared the IEEE standards of the two and already searched and read articles about 802.3 standards but can't find any related articles to my question.

Thank you for your time.

User from SC to HC
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Passive on Active PoE Scenario-Solution
2021-10-20 07:30:12 - last edited 2021-10-21 11:29:08

Dear @.Don,

.Don wrote

I'm planning to buy a PoE+ Switch (TL-SG1005LP) and an OC200. The controller itself has 802.3af compliance (active) but my current outdoor AP is not compliant (passive).

My concern is, can a passive-PoE-powered device be connected to an active-PoE switch?

A Passive-PoE powered device cannot be connected to an active-PoE Switch for power supply, but can be connected for Ethernet data only. If you are interested, read the following PoE Guide (the 2nd question) for details.

Will a Passive PoE AP be powered up by a Standard PoE power source device?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Passive on Active PoE Scenario-Solution
2021-10-20 07:30:12 - last edited 2021-10-21 11:29:08

Dear @.Don,

.Don wrote

A Passive-PoE powered device cannot be connected to an active-PoE Switch for power supply, but can be connected for Ethernet data only. If you are interested, read the following PoE Guide (the 2nd question) for details.

Will a Passive PoE AP be powered up by a Standard PoE power source device?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 510

Replies: 1