Rogue APs functionality - EAP225 5.0.5 and Omada controller 4.4.3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-25 12:00:09 - last edited 2021-10-26 02:43:58
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

Hi community,

I am wondering regarding the Rogue AP functionality that appears in Insights section of the controller as well as some of the documentation. Normally the idea of this functionality (at least in other vendors that I have used) is to confirm which APs are indeed rogue and which are part of the network. Since I do not have tp-link router or other network appliance I guess that Omada controller cannot see my other access points, so there must be some manual way to say that APs with those mac addresses are mine and should not be considered as rogue. Or is this Rogue AP functionality just for information in TP-link Omada?

Does anyone know if this functionality is somewhat limited in controller 4.2 and later since with my only EAP225 I am not able to set trusted/untrusted APs?  I was able to find only this which is for much older version https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1013/

Also I am wondering even in the current state, without being able to trust/untrust my other non-Omada APs, is the controller doing some kind of attempts to block/interfere them (they are broadcasting the same SSID and have IP from the same subnet)?

I will appreciate if anyone can clarify.

Kind regards,

K

Options
3 Reply
Re:Rogue APs functionality - EAP225 5.0.5 and Omada controller 4.4.3
2021-10-26 09:42:15

@Kaizen 

This function is simply used to scan and show what APs are nearby, the controller will not have any blocking or interfering behavior.

And I think setting trust/untrust should only be for checking by our(administrator's), it is not really useful.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-01 07:29:10

@Virgo Thank you for your reply. So this functionality seems completely useless. Not sure why the option to at least mark certain APs as friendly or unknown (trust/untrust) is not present in the recent Omada versions.

Options
2021-11-01 07:29:16

@Virgo Thank you for your reply. So this functionality seems completely useless. Not sure why the option to at least mark certain APs as friendly or unknown (trust/untrust) is not present in the recent Omada versions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 783

Replies: 3