TP-Link load balancer failing over onto backup connection even when primary is intact!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link load balancer failing over onto backup connection even when primary is intact!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-31 11:57:28 - last edited 2021-11-01 01:20:24
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20210113 Rel.35074

Recently set up the TP-Link ER605 on my home network.

I've hooked up my TP-Link cellular router (TL-MR100 running as a bridge; or rather in an attempt at bridge mode) and my ISP router (ditto) into the load balancer. So far, so good.

Then I configure a very basic backup rule. If WAN1 (ISP) goes down, please move over my connectivity to WAN2 (cellular). Which is basically the entire reason I bought this thing: to manage failover for me. Here's the backup rule. I'm using dual detection on Google DNS servers to check for link status.

All looks to be working until I randomly run a "who's my ISP?" test only to discover that .... the load balancer has moved onto cellular.

I manually disconnect WAN2 and my suspicion is confirmed: WAN1 (ISP) is perfectly fine. There should not have been a failover event.

Essentially the load balancer is failing over onto WAN2 even when WAN1 is perfectly fine and intact. Which is clearly not the anticipated behavior and risks degrading my network performance for no reason. Of note: I had the RT470 before this and experienced the exact same thing.

Anyone else experienced this?

TP-Link are a popular brand and I have a hard time believing that none of their load balancers can handle failover, so perhaps it's something I've misconfigured on the device.

TY!

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
7 Reply
Re:TP-Link load balancer failing over onto backup connection even when primary is intact!
2021-11-01 03:41:46

@danielrosehill Hi Daniel,

1. you can refer to this faq to check the settings first. Have you enabled load balancing before ?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2133/

2. Try to upgrade to the latest firmware and check if you can fix the issue.laugh

Options
Re:TP-Link load balancer failing over onto backup connection even when primary is intact!
2021-11-01 05:08:12

@Yannie 

Greetings.

1: Yes, load balancing is disabled.

2: I've done that and am running the latest firmware. 

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
2021-11-01 06:43:55

@danielrosehill You should enable load balancing. Try to enable it and see if you still have the issue.

Options
2021-11-01 10:48:41

@Yannie Intersting. I assumed that load balancing should be disabled if you're not .... load balancing. Will give this a try. 

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
2022-02-14 14:05:08

@Yannie I have done this, but I am facing the same issue as the OP above. 

I have 4 WANs, and I set WAN, WAN1, and WAN2 and primary, and set WAN3 as backup. But, it is using WAN3 only in this situation even though primar WANs are intact. I have enabled load balancing as per https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/faq/2133/.

I also had bandwidth based load balancing enabled for WAN, WAN1, and WAN2 only, not for WAN3. When I switched bandwidth based load balancing off for all WANs, it is using primary WANs, and not backup WAN. 

So, does bandwidth based load blancing on only primary WANs cause the device to use the backup WAN? Please help. I want to use bandwidth based load balancing on primar WAN only. How can I do this? Is it possible?

Options
2022-04-04 15:40:28

@danielrosehill @Yannie 

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have a main WAN connection (WAN) and backup wan connection (WAN/LAN1). When I create Link Backup Rule it ignores WAN interface and all traffic is going via WAN/LAN1. Also my understanding is that Load Balancing should be disabled as otherwise load is distributed on both WAN interfaces which is not desired in my case. Did anyone got the issue resolved?

Best Regards

Arek

Options
2022-06-13 00:58:03

@danielrosehill I had the same problem.  That is, I didn't want load balancing, but I only wanted link backup in case the primary wan failed.

Here is how to make that work.

1. Under load balancing -> basic settings -> general, you must select "enable load balancing".  Note: this is poorly named.  It should really be called "Enable load balancing and/or link backup feature."

2. Under load balancing -> basic settings -> basic settings, uncheck "Enable Application Optimized Routing", and uncheck "Enable Bandwidth Based Balance Routing on port(s)"

Note: this is the key to making the router use only link backup and not try to load balance on both wan ports.

3. Under load balancing -> link backup, create a rule as you normally would.

That's it.  You can verify this by checking that the backup wan port statistics should have no traffic except for the occasional packet to test the connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2021

Replies: 6