Expanding my network and address pool (newbie)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-04 20:11:51
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1

Apologies for my low level of knowledge*

I plugged in the er605, a couple of modems and by now 20-30 access points (archer 50's and wr8000), reusing the old cables that were still in the house when we got it.

Network is 192.168.16.1, modems 1.1 and 8.1 , that seems to work

By now we have about 100 smart devices (mostly sonoffs) and with all the routers there is getting to be little space in the default 256 address space. I think like others (?) i have not found a way to extend the dhcp range over 256.

So i tried to get an archer to do a new subnet (tried 2.1 and 32.1, also with subnet mask 255.255.240.0) but can't reach the .2.1 network at all. (Archer was in router mode with wan to the er605 lan side)

I am using the routers web interface and no vlans. But still, i feel i should be able to talk to more devices than 256.

Hoping that someone here can help a non-profit in need.

Thanks

Torsten

PS: obviously i will answer any questions about things i din't know how to descibe here.

* I have inadvertantly bought a house with 10000m2 and am out of my depth by a long way. But no money to pay for professional help. Lots of good intenetion though, as can be read here https://www.hubfeenix.fi/

Options
2 Reply
Re:Expanding my network and address pool (newbie)
2021-11-05 05:48:59

@RubyDesign I don't think you need to use so many routers, you can consider using their full set of SDN equipment. Purchase switch,EAP and OC200 to work with your existing ER605.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/smb/select-product/pro/scene

Options
Re:Expanding my network and address pool (newbie)
2021-11-05 11:50:37

@Yannie Hie Panda,

thanks for the link and i would be happy to buy a little (and use the software controller)

But since i don't understand the problem, i think more knobs won't help.

I am quite sure i "should" be able to get 1000 clients working with 1 router and 20 aps, if i knew how to get the addresses

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 426

Replies: 2

Related Articles