Unable to get failover WAN working on Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-06 09:04:14
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have the following setup in our environment. (Please refer the diagram given below).

There are 2 ISPs each with their own Fiber to Copper convertors installed. We have the 2 devices configured with the following network ranges.

ISP 1: 172.16.10.1/24

ISP 2: 172.16.20.1/24

The TP-Link ER605 connects to both uplink routers on WAN1 and WAN2 ports with static IP defined for both.

WAN1: 172.16.10.50

WAN2: 172.16.20.50

The remaining 3 ports are configured to be LAN with the following network range: 10.10.0.1/16

There is a RaspberryPi 4 hosting the Omada Controller v4.4.4 connected to LAN 3 port.

LAN port is connected to a TP-Link Switch.

On the Omada SDN we have the following configuration defined.

Load Balancing Weight: 1:1

Application Optimized Routing: Enable

Link Backup: Enable

Primary WAN: WAN1

Backup WAN: WAN2

Primary Active WAN always and switch to secondary if any WAN fails.

The problem we're facing is, with the given configuration, we expected the setup to work like a active backup ISP in failover mode.

What we observed is, if ISP 1 (primary) goes down with service outage, the router does not failover to the secondary backup ISP. What the ER605 router considers down is when the physical connectivity goes down, either someone pulls the ethernet cable from WAN1 or the uplink router goes power off.

Before adopting the ER605 to Omada, the router had an active policy page where we could define either Ping or DNS lookup for active check. I can't see anything of that sort on the Omada SDN Wired Network > Internet setup page.

Would like to know what's going wrong or what am I missing. Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unable to get failover WAN working on Omada Controller
2021-11-09 02:49:45

@darkvault 

Click on ER605 in the controller Device screen to see the specific WAN status in the pop-up window on the right to check.

You can upgrade the firmware to the latest one and try.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-03-13 12:25:12

@darkvault same issue here

Options
2022-03-13 13:57:47

@darkvault Purportedly, the router is supposed to be carrying out DNS lookup, there being no option for a ping test.

I am using a similar system but with a ER 7206 router : settings as below

An earlier installation using a standalone TP-Link TL-R470T router suffered the same problem until ping keep-alive was enabled in place of DNS lookup.

Options