Omata Controller (SDN) + VPN Router (ER605)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-09 12:02:17 - last edited 2021-11-12 14:04:35
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

I've been trying to setup the ER605 to enable a L2TP VPN connection for a few days now and I'm constantly getting nowhere fast.

Since all the online videos I see for setting up the VPN are through the Omada Controller interface, figured I'd set that up.  I found the software installation for it, set it up on my computer (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS) and was able to get that up and running.  I even went as far as setting up the cloud account and am able to connect to the installation of the Omada Controller on my computer from the cloud.

Where the frustration comes from:  The Omada Controller cannot "find" the ER 605 device.

The Omada Controller software is running on my computer and the computer is *literally* plugged directly into the ER 605!  Not only that, but the Omada Controller connects to the internet cloud via the internet that it *literally* gets through the ER 605.

So how do I get the Omada Controller to see the device that it is connected to?  Furthermore, why do we have to have interfaces that are reliant on "auto-detection" of devices when I could just provide the Omada Controller the IP of the ER 605?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omata Controller (SDN) + VPN Router (ER605)-Solution
2021-11-12 14:04:26 - last edited 2021-11-12 14:04:35

@Virgo 

Well I found a solution in a alternate path and here's the details:

Since I couldn't use the L2TP with my pixel phone, it has iKEv2 protocols listed, I saw that this could be setup via the Omata Controller which brought me back to the original situation of not having the controller see the VPN router.  I was thinking that the communications were probably blocked on my computer with the firewall on Ubuntu.  Probably right, to be honest, but I didn't want to reconfigure everything on my workstation for this and decided that I'd offload the Omata Controller onto another device instead.

So I installed the Raspberry Pi, 64-bit, Ubuntu operating system onto a Raspberry Pi 3b+.  After installing the MongoDB and the Omata Controller, I was able to open the firewall ports and, voila, the controller saw the VPN router.  After playing with that a bit, I went to setup the iKEv2 only to find it wasn't there in the options (or it is under a different name) however what was there was OpenVPN.  So I generated a certificate, installed the OpenVPN client on the phone, installed the certificate and the phone connected to the VPN.

I was a bit more twiddling than I was expecting however I'm glad that it is working.  :)

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omata Controller (SDN) + VPN Router (ER605)
2021-11-10 08:11:22

@WaywardScythe 

I supposed this will help you: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2980/

And r605 can set the l2tp vpn in standalone I remember, maybe this one: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3025/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Omata Controller (SDN) + VPN Router (ER605)
2021-11-10 15:06:29

@Virgo 

I'm getting somewhere with the L2TP where a device I have is attempting to connect now, so I'm troubleshooting that, however I'm now seeing my phone has updated OS and the protocol offered is IKEv2/IPSec PSK (and L2TP is no longer an option on that phone (Pixel3a w/ Android 12).  Looking at the information around the ER605 VPN Router, I see that it *can* support IKEv2 however *only* through the Omata Controller setup.  This brings me back to the device discovery issue where the Controller SDN isn't seeing the ER605.

The first link that you shared, I'd seen already, and the first picture of the network setup (with the internet -> router (ER506) -> switch -> controller) is the closest to what I have with the exception that my computer running the Controller is plugged directly into the ER506 (no switch between).  The Controller software just will not detect that device despite it being directly connected.  I haven't done the discovery tool, yet, because the document said not to run it on the same computer as the Controller software so, yeah, I have to configure a different box to get that going which, yes, irks me that I cannot simply tell the Controller to adopt a device at a specified IP.  Seems backwards to hinder the Controller through an auto-detection process that is not able to find devices well...

Options
Re:Omata Controller (SDN) + VPN Router (ER605)-Solution
2021-11-12 14:04:26 - last edited 2021-11-12 14:04:35

@Virgo 

Well I found a solution in a alternate path and here's the details:

Since I couldn't use the L2TP with my pixel phone, it has iKEv2 protocols listed, I saw that this could be setup via the Omata Controller which brought me back to the original situation of not having the controller see the VPN router.  I was thinking that the communications were probably blocked on my computer with the firewall on Ubuntu.  Probably right, to be honest, but I didn't want to reconfigure everything on my workstation for this and decided that I'd offload the Omata Controller onto another device instead.

So I installed the Raspberry Pi, 64-bit, Ubuntu operating system onto a Raspberry Pi 3b+.  After installing the MongoDB and the Omata Controller, I was able to open the firewall ports and, voila, the controller saw the VPN router.  After playing with that a bit, I went to setup the iKEv2 only to find it wasn't there in the options (or it is under a different name) however what was there was OpenVPN.  So I generated a certificate, installed the OpenVPN client on the phone, installed the certificate and the phone connected to the VPN.

I was a bit more twiddling than I was expecting however I'm glad that it is working.  :)

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 776

Replies: 3