TP-Link Omada/SDN Solution - Recommended ADSL Modem/Router ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-09 15:10:48

Hi,

For years we have used Draytek equipment in remote offices. A modem/router provides the Internet connection, establishes the VPN, manages wireless networks, VLANs, etc.

Where possible we are slowly phasing this out as we prefer the "single pane of glass" management of Wifi that Omada gives us - with an OC200 and EAP Access Points at each location. If I understand correctly, we can expand our use of Omada to remotely manage switches (e.g. TL-SG2428P) and even gateways/routers ( eg ER605/TL-R605 ) which would handle the VPN connection etc. 

None of the routers however have ADSL/VDSL ports which limits their potential as a replacement for the Drayteks.

I would typically look for an ADSL/VDSL Modem (rather than router) to sit between the TP-Link Gateway and the Internet link but TP-Link do not appear to suggest anything suitable ? 

The end goal here is to standardise across all of our smaller branch offices and to use mutliple lower cost devices which can be remotely managed and/or replaced as needed in place of the current Draytek solutions where any hardware failure takes the whole site offline and replacements are expensive and hard to source.

Any recommendations ? 

Thanks,

Andy  

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link Omada/SDN Solution - Recommended ADSL Modem/Router ?
2021-11-10 07:29:46

@AndyBH 

I remember the ADSL/VDSL product that you said seems like the home product in TP.

Omada series belongs to Bussiness products, they are not compatible with each other in some aspescts I think.

And Bussiness products I also didn't find any ADSL/VDSL device.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-10 09:40:13

Hi @Virgo - Are you suggesting that businesses do not / should not use DSL lines for connectivity ? 

Everyone that uses Omada controlled APs/routers/switches has a full fibre connection to the office ?

I simply can't believe that to be true.

The simple diagram at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn shows the link from the Safestream Gateway as being T1 or DSL but none of the Safestream Gateways support DSL connectivity direct.

All I'm looking for is recommendation of a reliable modem/router to make that connection. 

Thanks,

Andy

Options
2021-11-15 15:26:07

AndyBH wrote

Hi @Virgo - Are you suggesting that businesses do not / should not use DSL lines for connectivity ? 

Everyone that uses Omada controlled APs/routers/switches has a full fibre connection to the office ?

I simply can't believe that to be true.

The simple diagram at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn shows the link from the Safestream Gateway as being T1 or DSL but none of the Safestream Gateways support DSL connectivity direct.

All I'm looking for is recommendation of a reliable modem/router to make that connection. 

Thanks,

Andy

Hi@AndyBH 

We had same situation with adsl on a Draytek router ... Replaced it with a TP-Link ER7206 (multi Wan) and used a basic Draytek Vigor 130 modem for WAN 1 & a backup link on WAN 2

Options
2021-11-15 15:48:06

@GaelForce  - Thanks,

It looks as if we are pretty much on the same page.

I've bought myself some kit to play/test with including the ER605 router.

I must admit that I was hoping to find a suitable TP-Link device to use for the ADSL connection so we could be "brand loyal" and keep everything simple if we ever needed tech support. There is nothing more infuriating than having a problem and having two vendors blaming each others kit !

I've used tons of Draytek kit (and its mostly good) in the past so if there isn't a suitable TP-Link modem then perhaps I'll have to stick with them (or keep whatever junk the ISP provides).

Cheers,

Andy 

Options
2021-11-18 14:45:30

@AndyBH 

One of our sites had a dreadfully slow BT ADSL (512 kbps) connection & was supplemented with a satellite secondary WAN.  Being in the middle of nowhere, BT were not interested or able to provide anything better so our old Draytek 2830 routers were OK.  The site has now upgraded to a hi speed wireless WAN giving a much faster connection.  There is NO 3G, 4G or 5G data connections available but the possibility of an Elon Musk 'Starlink' high speed second WAN looks on for 2022.  The old BT link (with Vigor 130 modem in bridge mode) is now only used for site monitoring etc. 

However, TP-Link router, OC200 controller & assorted TP-Link access points are now in use with existing TP-Link switches for the entire site and works well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1663

Replies: 5

Related Articles