Controller filters out clients previously seen wirelessly but now are wired due to non-omada AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Controller filters out clients previously seen wirelessly but now are wired due to non-omada AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-10 15:11:26 - last edited 2021-11-19 08:59:21
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.3 Build 20210914 Rel.39903

Having an issue with the Omada Controller UI not displaying clients which are connected using Non-Omada (RE650) Access Point.

The clients do get IP addresses from the gateway and have full access to the internet however they do not appear in any list of clients.

I don’t see them in the Wired section or All clients list.

The AP(RE650) is connected using an ethernet wire to the EAP615-Wall which in turn is connected to the PoE port on the switch.
There is an unmanaged switch between AP and EAP615.

The AP(RE650) is visible in the clients list (in the wired section) but none its clients.

When I didn’t use the Omada Controller and use gateway in the standalone mode on the gateway I could see all clients.
So it seems that Omada is filtering those. I can see those clients if they are connected to one of the Omada APs. I even can
reserve an IP for them in the settings. When I reconnect them to the non-Omada AP (RE650) they disappear from the client list despite
the fact the still do get allocated the reserved IP.

I saw similar issues reports over the past year but I think it is more unique. All firmware are at the latest I believe and hardware was recently
acquired.

Really seems like the controller is filtering those clients for some reason from the view.
Is there a setting I am missing or is it really a bug?

I have another AP in a repeater mode which connects wirelessly to one of the Omada EAP and I can see those clients in the list (but it is different situation somehow)

UPDATE:

After some further testing and using another access point of the same kind I have another plausible hypothesis.

Hypothesis: Omada controller does not show wired clients which previously appeared as wireless clients.

Testing: Using my iPhone and a non-omada wireless access point which is connected to the switch using a wired Ethernet connection I could perform a few experiments.

iPhone has a toggle for each wireless SSID to be able to generate a different MAC Address to avoid Wi-fi tracking.

I have a IP reservation setup for iPhone MAC when private MAC toggle is disabled. I can get the same IP when connecting to Omada and non-omada access point with different SSID. But it does not show iPhone in the list of wired connection and keep showing it in the list of wireless but connected to one of the Omada EAPs it was last connected (it disappears from there after a while). I can see my iPhone in the client list for non-omada RE650 EAP.

Now, when I enable a private Mac for the non-omada SSID and reconnect. I get a different IP because a reservation does not exists. Now the iPhone shows up in the list of wired clients.

With that I conclude that the controller gets confused and filters out wired client if it previously observed the same MAC as a wireless connection.

Now I wonder if it is a bug or there is some “security” feature I can disable? Again device has perfectly fine access to the internet - it is only the controller which hides it.

Controller Name: OC200

Controller Version: 4.4.6

Model: OC200 1.0

Firmware Version: 1.9.3 Build 20210914 Rel.39903

Router:

ER7206 v1.0

Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64359

Switch:

TL-SG2008P v1.0

Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20210806 Rel.55686

APx2 (Study, Kitchen):

Model: EAP615-Wall(EU) v1.0

Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20210823 Rel. 35851

APx1 (Front-Bedroom):

Model: EAP230-Wall(EU) v1.0

Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 20210322 Rel. 53895

Non-Omada AP (RE650-HALL-AP)
(connected by wire through EAP615-Wall(EU) to the switch)
Model: TPLink RE650 v1.0

Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20201112 Rel. 66232

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada Controller does not show clients connected to the switch via non-omada AP
2021-11-11 01:08:50
Options
Re:Omada Controller does not show clients connected to the switch via non-omada AP
2021-11-11 09:26:40

@Hendrics 

I guess (just a thought) this may be due to the mechanism of the RE650 device itself, when the back-end device transmits to the front-end through the RE650, the RE650 may replace the MAC address of the back-end device with its own, then it will appear that the MAC addresses of the devices connected behind the RE650 are all the same, then it may only show one on the controller.

In fact you can check it when the EAP used in Standalone, to see if the clients which connected to RE650 all have the same MAC address.

If not, please also share the results and thoughts with me(if you don't mind), I'm particularly curious too lol.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-11 09:45:35 - last edited 2021-11-11 10:12:51

@Virgo 

I think it is a plausible hypothesis but I would be surprised if that were true. In the past all my routers (and i have tried 4 in the last 4 months - 3 from different ISPs) they could see all the mac addresses just fine when connected through this AP point. Also when I used GW in standalone previously it can see all those clients just fine. 

I ensured that RE650 is in the Access Point mode and DHCP is fully off. 

I addition when the clients are connected to Omada AP and are visible in the controller clients' list I manage to enable IP reservation for those devices.

I can see the same IP addresses being allocated to the devices when they connect to RE650 in their list of clients. 

So my assumption based on that the GW sees them with the correct MAC address to be able to assign them the reserved IPs.

Options
2021-11-12 01:22:41

@Hendrics 

I found this article on TP's official website, which may be of help to you:https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/927/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-12 18:33:55

@Virgo 

Thank you for the link. 
What i understand it talks abot is 3 modes: 
a)  Proxy Mode (virtual MAC addresses for the clients)
b) Universal Mode (will replace all its clients’ MAC addresses with RE’s own MAC address)
c) WDS Mode (real MAC address of these clients)

There are none of those modes on the RE650. I use it in the access mode over the wired connection. 

However It worked fine in this mode with other routers and i could see real MAC addresses of the devices in that way. 

More over, TL7206 saw the real mac addresses of those devices when it was in stand alone (not controlled by Omada controller). 

Afterwards, in Omada controller i managed to reserve the IP address for my device. And when they are connected through the extender they still get the same address.
So TL7206 sees them with their real MAC address otherwise how would it get the assigned IP address.

Now, for some inexplicable reasons Omada Controller refuses to show them as cleints on the network. I am happy for them to be shown as wired clients as RE650 is connected through the wired conneciton.  

Options
2021-11-18 05:56:37 - last edited 2021-11-18 06:01:15

After some further testing and using another access point of the same kind I have another plausible hypothesis.

Hypothesis: Omada controller does not show wired clients which previously appeared as wireless clients.

Testing: Using my iPhone and a non-omada wireless access point which is connected to the switch using a wired Ethernet connection I could perform a few experiments.

iPhone has a toggle for each wireless SSID to be able to generate a different MAC Address to avoid Wi-fi tracking.

I have a IP reservation setup for iPhone MAC when private MAC toggle is disabled. I can get the same IP when connecting to Omada and non-omada access point with different SSID. But it does not show iPhone in the list of wired connection and keep showing it in the list of wireless but connected to one of the Omada EAPs it was last connected (it disappears from there after a while). I can see my iPhone in the client list for non-omada RE650 EAP.

Now, when I enable a private Mac for the non-omada SSID and reconnect. I get a different IP because a reservation does not exists. Now the iPhone shows up in the list of wired clients.

With that I conclude that the controller gets confused and filters out wired client if it previously observed the same MAC as a wireless connection.

Now I wonder if it is a bug or there is some “security” feature I can disable? Again device has perfectly fine access to the internet - it is only the controller which hides it.

Options
2021-11-18 06:17:27

@Fae this seem like a bug to me personally, would you be able to escalate it to engineering?

This should be easy to reproduce as a system test but also should be easy to simulate at a unit test level for controller.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 922

Replies: 7

Related Articles