Config ER605 on Omada controler without switch Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-16 18:03:21
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Hi,

I install a router ER605 on my house and I want to controle with an Omada controller version 4.4.3 (installed on my PC Win10).

The problem is that I want to create, on ER605, two different lan 192.168.1.1/24 (VLAN1) and 192.168.2.1/24 (VLAN2). The first LAN in my house network and the second the guest network; I want that the VLAN 2 can go to internet but can't go to the first lan.

I try to configure this setting with ER605 in standalone mode, and all work fine: I config 1 ER605 port with anly VLAN2 and the other port with VLAN1. I problem arrive if I try to make the some configuration with Omada controller, because I can't modify default VLAN. Omada controller want an omada switch connected to the ER605 to make this solution.

I think this solution is possible also using a simple managed swith (non Omada), because I think that is only necessary to configure correctly the VLAN. I try to do this without success, maybe someone tried to di this? If yes can you tell me the right configuration?

I hope I have correctly described my problem.

Thank for reply

Nicola

Options
8 Reply
Re:Config ER605 on Omada controler without switch Omada
2021-11-17 02:36:15

@GDU 

Here's the issue. You need a DHCP server for the VLAN. ER605 does not support a VLAN+DHCP server like Ubiquiti.

In the TP-LINK VLAN setup, you are gonna use the switch to be the DHCP server for the VLAN2. You have to own a model that supports the DHCP server while config this.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3091/

Step2.2 will be the place where you stop config-ing 'cause the reason above.  

Options
2021-11-17 08:23:01

@John1234 

Thanks for reply.

Now I configure ER605 in standalone mode with 2 VLAN (port 1-2-3-4 VLAN1 and port 4 VLAN2) and all work fine, also the two DHCP server inside ER605 work.

I see the same guide that you reported me, but the solution describe need an Omada swith. At this moment I don't have Omada switch but a normal managed switch, I want to connect the ER605 to Omada controller and make the some configuration that I describe.

I try but on the controller when I want to modify the VLAN1 port, I can't, I receive a message report that "not possible to modify to default VLAN". I can modify only the VLAN2...

I try to assign VLAN2 only on port 3 of the ER605 and VLAN1 on all port (I can't modify), than I connect a managed switch on port 3 of ER605. The switch is configure with port1 (where is the link with er605) with VLAN1 untagged and VLAN2 tagged. Port 2 VLAN2 untagged and VLAN1 excluded.

I try to connect my pc on port 2 but can't receive an IP and don't work... all other port work fine on VLAN1.

Where is the mistake? I don't understand how the ER605 configure the VLAN when is receive the configuration from Omada controller.

Thanks....

Options
2021-11-17 09:02:24

@GDU 

That's right. In standalone mode, you can do a lot of stuff. But, with the Controller, everything's integrated and they work together to achieve a function.

Default VLAN1 is not modifiable!!!! Don't even think about this.

So, for TP-LINK, you are gonna set up a DHCP server on your switch. And tag the DHCP server as VLAN2. Refer to the guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/887/

The setup for the switch, port #2 should be untagged, PVID2. Not tagged. PC cannot accept tagged packets. 

That's super important for you to own a DHCP server-supported switch. Or you fail the setup. 

Options
2021-11-17 09:38:14

@John1234 

Thanks, I try to make your solution, I don't know if my switch can made DHCP server.

I try and I update you...

Options
2021-11-23 13:52:25

@John1234 

Hi check but my switch don't have possible to enable DHCP server. I think will be buy a TL-SG2008P this is full compatible with Omada SDN. 

In that way I can make the solution describe in this guide https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3091/.

In your opinion if I want to create my network and only one guest network, I'm forced to create two LAN in addition of default LAN like the guide? Or is possible to create just guest lan and use the default for me?

If I compare to the guide I want to use LAN 192.168.0.x/24 form me and 192.168.100.x/24 for guest; is possible? The LAN 192.168.200.x/24 I don't create it.....

Thanks

Options
2021-11-29 07:48:25

@GDU 

About the IP stuff, you can create your own. Default LAN IP can be different.

192.168.0.X/24 for the main network, 192.168.100.X/24 can be another network. That's do-able. No worries. You can set it up like that. If you want to know all available private network IP range, you can search it on google. There are three sections for the private IPs

Options
2022-05-22 20:26:15

@John1234

I'm curious about the assertion earlier that the ER605 is not the device handling DHCP requests for all VLANs.

That goes against my current understanding which could easily be incorrect since I started with this equipment a few days back.

I have ER605, 2x SG2008 (actually one of them is a P), OC200, EAP245.

After going through the steps of FAQ 3091 (minus the ACLs for now), I have a few VLANs.

The reason I was under the impression that the gateway handled all DHCP requests across all VLANs is three-fold:

• The router properties includes a tab called Networks, which doesn't exist for my switches.
  • The LAN Interface creation UX includes a selection of ports to be included that match ports of the gateway only (WAN/LANx & LAN).
  • In case switches were connected to several of the gateway's LAN ports, and a VLAN spanned more than one of these ports, which switch would handle DHCP?
    It seems desirable to centralize on a single device...

Or maybe something changed since your replies earlier and now.

Options
2022-06-03 20:23:26

@John1234 

Actually, per Omada SDN Controller User Guide | TP-Link, during network creation:

DHCP Server

Click the checkbox to allow the Omada Gateway to serve as the DHCP server for this network. A DHCP server assigns IP addresses, DNS server, default gateway, and other parameters to all devices in the network. Uncheck the box if there is already a DHCP server in the network.

The gateway/router seems to be hosting the DHCP server for each network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4205

Replies: 8