2nd Router for subnet not getting internet access.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-21 20:49:34 - last edited 2021-11-24 02:43:07
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V1_1.1.1_20210723

Hello. I do some IT work for an auto body shop. I need to separate a camera system from the rest of the network by placing it behind a router, before It was just connected to the main router from a switch. The two networks are 192.168.1.0 (main) and 192.168.2.0 for the 2nd. 

After setting some of the basic config up I can communicate with network 192.168.1.0 from the router. However, I cannot access the internet. I do have a DNS server setup and have the router pointing to it. I can also ping the DNS server fine. Even when I pinged the IP of the site location, I could not reach it. I tried enabling the DHCP server on the router and test with it on and off, but it made no difference. I could not get internet from my testing laptop but was still able to access devices on both networks. 

Before the switch would just pass-through internet to the devices in the physical location. What setting needs to be enabled in the router to do the same? Unsure if the WAN port needs to be used at all? I thought it was just for the direct connection with the modem. Does the router even need to have its own WAN address like the main router does? Would I need to implement NAT on this router to translate to an address on the 192.168.1.0 network? 

Thank you for your time and any insight will be appreciated. 

Solution: I moved the connection the WAN port of the ER-605. I set a static IP for the 192.168.1.0 network. I did notice the icons for internet on my laptop appeared but still nothing was not able to acess any sites. Had to then set a routing policy for all IPs that aren't part of the local network to flood out the WAN port. This then gave me access.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:2nd Router for subnet not getting internet access. -Solution
2021-11-22 07:40:50 - last edited 2021-11-24 02:43:07

@SirDudert 

Your second Router is going to be online, be aware of the physical connection, the WAN port of the second router is going to be connected to the LAN port of the first router and there is no way to turn off NAT on the R605, which is now double NAT in your network.
I'm confused about your network topology, how are all your devices connected?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:2nd Router for subnet not getting internet access. -Solution
2021-11-22 07:40:50 - last edited 2021-11-24 02:43:07

@SirDudert 

Your second Router is going to be online, be aware of the physical connection, the WAN port of the second router is going to be connected to the LAN port of the first router and there is no way to turn off NAT on the R605, which is now double NAT in your network.
I'm confused about your network topology, how are all your devices connected?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2nd Router for subnet not getting internet access.
2021-11-23 01:36:33 - last edited 2021-11-23 01:47:23

@Virgo  Thank you for the response.

There is the internet modem which then connects to an TP-Link Archer C9 as the main router (192.168.1.0) network. Two of the ports go to switches that have a number of devices on them. That all works fine. One of the C9s LAN ports connects to the ER605.

I have tried both through the WAN port and LAN port, but doing both of those ports the internet would not work. I actually was unable to reach the 192.168.1.0 network at all once I used the WAN port. I assumed the WAN port is only to be used when connecting to the ISP modem. There is an option for a port to be WAN/LAN port but that still did nothing and I was then unable to ping the other network. 

Edit: Actually...now I get it I think!? Before I had it on the WAN port I kept trying to set it to get IP dynamically but it never did anything. Do I need to set it as a static IP for 192.168.1.0 network? 

Options
Re:2nd Router for subnet not getting internet access.
2021-11-24 06:54:56

@SirDudert 

Based on your description, I think if you change the IP address of this ER605 to 192.168.1.0 as well, then there will be an IP conflict because the C9 in your previous section also has this IP address

In fact, you connect this way will lead to the existence of a double NAT in your network, so it is best to connect the ER605 directly to the modem in front of it, and then connect the C9 behind the ER605 (such as if it has Access point mode, set it to access point to use), so that your network will only have the ER605 a NAT, DHCP device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 3

Related Articles