Omada Controller on Non-TP Link Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-30 15:04:15 - last edited 2021-12-01 09:43:19
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

Currently we have 17 units of TPLink EAP225 V3 and OC200 connected to TP Link TL-SG3428MP V1 and TL-SG2210MP.

We are upgrading the Network Infrastructure with Cisco but we will be reusing the Omada Wireless system (Controller and EAP). TP Link Switches will be decommissioned.

Now, our Cisco L3 Core switch will be handling our DHCP and the GATEWAY for all VLANS including the Client VLANs (SSID 10 and SSID 20).

Will this work?

1. Can Omada able to point DHCP Server for VLAn 10 and VLAN 20 to Cisco?

1. Do we need APs be trunked or just access?

2. Roaming will still work?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Omada Controller on Non-TP Link Network-Solution
2021-12-01 04:45:13 - last edited 2021-12-01 09:43:19

@PopoyMaster 

Yes this will work, you can pick what pice you want from TP-LINK Omada series and use it with another brand.

Yes i cant see why not, but access point need trunk

Yes you ned trunk, TP-LINK EAP don't support Flexconnect (Like Cisco WLC do),

for Fast Roaming to work you must have a online controller.

I have a lot of similar solution with Cisco, unifi and tp-link. sometime i use only router, sometime i use only switch and sometime only access point. this is not a problem.

99% off my customer use Cisco firewall and a mix of the other product with switch and access point.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-01 05:19:15 - last edited 2021-12-01 09:43:49

@PopoyMaster 

"Will it work?" Of course. No worries. Refer to the FAQ which is similar to this standalone stuff before Omada SDN was introduced: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/887/

A1. DHCP server is set up on your Cisco switch. Refer to the FAQ. You have to make sure the VLAN tag/untag stuff is right. 

A2. AP are trunk ports with tagged VLAN10&20. Ports between Cisco L2 switch to the AP, define as: trunk with VLAN10&20, tagged. 

A3. Roaming works since you have Omada Controller in the same network. Go to settings>Site settings>Site>Scroll down and look for the Advanced Fetures>Fast Roaming, enable. Done.

About FR: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2097/

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2021-12-01 04:45:13 - last edited 2021-12-01 09:43:19

@PopoyMaster 

Yes this will work, you can pick what pice you want from TP-LINK Omada series and use it with another brand.

Yes i cant see why not, but access point need trunk

Yes you ned trunk, TP-LINK EAP don't support Flexconnect (Like Cisco WLC do),

for Fast Roaming to work you must have a online controller.

I have a lot of similar solution with Cisco, unifi and tp-link. sometime i use only router, sometime i use only switch and sometime only access point. this is not a problem.

99% off my customer use Cisco firewall and a mix of the other product with switch and access point.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-01 05:19:15 - last edited 2021-12-01 09:43:49

@PopoyMaster 

"Will it work?" Of course. No worries. Refer to the FAQ which is similar to this standalone stuff before Omada SDN was introduced: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/887/

A1. DHCP server is set up on your Cisco switch. Refer to the FAQ. You have to make sure the VLAN tag/untag stuff is right. 

A2. AP are trunk ports with tagged VLAN10&20. Ports between Cisco L2 switch to the AP, define as: trunk with VLAN10&20, tagged. 

A3. Roaming works since you have Omada Controller in the same network. Go to settings>Site settings>Site>Scroll down and look for the Advanced Fetures>Fast Roaming, enable. Done.

About FR: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2097/

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada Controller on Non-TP Link Network
2021-12-01 07:49:56 - last edited 2021-12-01 08:05:02

Thanks for your responses.

i am logged to emulator.tp-link.com to get feel of the interfaces (will be visiting th site next week for the actual configuration)

First, we don't have TPLINK Switches anymore, is this LAN Settings still taking effect? 

Is this the VLAN settings for the controller pointing to our Cisco L3?

Second, mapping the SSID to its designated VLAN.

Or just need that Wireless Networks >> VLAN , map to vlan 10 and no need for that LAN Settigns anymore.

Thanks!

Options
2021-12-01 08:11:16

@PopoyMaster 

LAN/NETWORK Settings have no effect if you don't have a TP-LINK Router or TP-LINK Switch.

VLAN setting is on SSID in your case.

Options
2021-12-01 10:12:23

@shberge

Thank you so much!!

This should be a straight forward easy connection, will let you know once done!

Options