EAP Factory reset not (quite) working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-02 14:42:30 - last edited 2021-12-03 01:14:33
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: unknown

My Omada controller died a while ago, and this AP has been unused for a while. I now want to repurpose it for my daughter, who is moving to a campus room with a private internet connection...

I've tried to reset it with the pinhole reset button, and it blinked green twice, red twice, green twice, red twice and then seemed to reboot a few times in a row...

When I now scan it, only port 22 is open, and ssh-ing in to it with admin/admin does seem to get accepted (other passwords get a 'Permission denied' error, so that seems to be quite correct), but then I get an error:
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
shell request failed on channel 0

The scan results show:

# nmap 10.*.*.179

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-12-02 15:38 CET
Nmap scan report for 10.*.*.179
Host is up (0.0074s latency).
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open  ssh
MAC Address: 50:C7:BF:CA:DD:7A (Tp-link Technologies)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 10.18 seconds

What else can I try to get this device back up and running as a standalone AP?

PS: It still gets an IP address from the DHCP server as well, so no '192.168.0.254' address or something similar!

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP Factory reset not (quite) working
2021-12-03 05:50:21 - last edited 2021-12-03 05:54:26

@Fear_na_Boinne 

Green red green red.. That sounds no good. It's more like a "dead"(bricked) device.

Did you upgrade the firmware and disconnect the connection? That'll become bricked. 

Quote LED status:

With the device powered on, press and hold the button for about 5 seconds until the LED is quickly flashing yellow then green, then release the button. The device will restore to factory default settings.

It's getting an IP from the DHCP server? While this makes me think it still works???  Can you use the IP to log into the device and reset it? 

Does it still push WiFi? Can you discover and join? Can you get an IP from the WIFI?

Options
Re:EAP Factory reset not (quite) working
2021-12-05 13:51:29

John1234 wrote

@Fear_na_Boinne 

Green red green red.. That sounds no good. It's more like a "dead"(bricked) device.

Did you upgrade the firmware and disconnect the connection? That'll become bricked. 

Quote LED status:

With the device powered on, press and hold the button for about 5 seconds until the LED is quickly flashing yellow then green, then release the button. The device will restore to factory default settings.

It's getting an IP from the DHCP server? While this makes me think it still works???  Can you use the IP to log into the device and reset it? 

Does it still push WiFi? Can you discover and join? Can you get an IP from the WIFI?

@John1234 

I just noticed my previous reply posted empty...

No, there weren't any firmware upgrades in progress. Additionally, the device is still booting and functional! It's SSIDs did correctly reset to the factory defaults, as did the admin user/password combination. It just doesn't seem to start the WebUI!

The AP gets an IP from the DHCP server, and I can strictly speaking log in on SSH, but it fails to execute a shell for me to get in to, and when I try to manually invoke a shell like BASH as part of the SSH command, it tells me it failed to exec that as well. So no way to get in to shell to reset, and no WebUI either!

So it feels like the factory reset that gets invoked on pushing the reset button is incomplete, as if a part of the reset script (the part that removed the OMADA controller settings and reenabled the WebUI) is missing or not getting executed (poor exception catching?)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 968

Replies: 2

Related Articles