Switchover to Mesh does not work.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 18:36:02 - last edited 2021-12-06 19:01:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

Hello!

My two access points are each connected to a switch and both switches are connected to each other. Due to the upcoming renovation work, the cabling between the switches will be renewed. During the ongoing work, the other building should also continue to have access to the Internet.

I simulated the whole thing once and interrupted the connections between the switches. Surprisingly, the EAP 225 Outdoor did not choose the EAP 225 as the root AP in order to continue to supply WLAN clients and wired clients using Mesh.

The distance between the two access points is approx. 10 to 12 meters (33 to 39 ft). At first I thought that the two were out of range, but according to the scan, both can find the other in the 5 GHz frequency band. The signal is between -68dBm and -72dBm.

Here is an ASCII graphic to illustrate the setup:

Building 2                                                 Building 1
+---------------------+                         +--------------------------------------------+
|                     |                         |                                            |
|                     |  +------------------+   |        +------------------+                |
|              +---------|EAP 225 Outdoor V1|   |        |EAP 225 V3 (5.0.5)|                |
|              |      |  |     (5.0.5)      |   |        +------------------+                |
|              |      |  +------------------+   |                |                           |
|              |      |                         |                |                           |
|      +-----------+  |                         |          +-----------+       +----------+  |
|      |  Switch   |--|-------------------------|----------|  Switch   |-------|  Router  |  |
|      +-----------+  |                         |          +-----------+       +----------+  |
|            /   |    |                         |          /     |   \                       |
|           /    |    |                         |         /      |    \                      |
|          /     |    |                         |        /       |     \                     |
|         /      |    |                         |       /        |      \                    |
| +--------+  +-----+ |                         | +--------+  +-----+  +-------------------+ |
| | Camera |  | PC  | |                         | | Camera |  | PC  |  |      Omada        | |
| +--------+  +-----+ |                         | +--------+  +-----+  |Software Controller| |
|                     |                         |                      |      (4.4.6)      | |
|                     |                         |                      +-------------------+ |
+---------------------+                         +--------------------------------------------+

Mesh is activated. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to select a Uplink AP (e.g. the Root AP) via the web interface. The scan button is grayed out. I used the following instructions: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2949/

Is this a software bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Options
1 Reply
Re:Switchover to Mesh does not work.
2021-12-07 08:08:35

@moepnse 

1. You can first reset the EAP225 outdoor(forget it on the controller), and make sure that the EAP is only powered on, and see if it works.
2. If it still doesn't work, then reset both EAPs, reboot the controller and reconfigure them according to the mesh, usually this will work a few times.

I think the trick to success is to reset and reboot, that's how I got it to work before lol.

Note: reset means lost all settings.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 481

Replies: 1

Related Articles