EAP integration with external 3rd party Portal Server (PM-WANI compliant) in India

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP integration with external 3rd party Portal Server (PM-WANI compliant) in India

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-10 03:14:55
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0 and above

In 2020, Indian government has launched a new initiative called PM-WANI for accelerating Public Wifi Hotspot adoption in country

They have defined a special distributed and open architecture comprising logical entities like PDO, PDOA, discovery app etc. Basically their are new means to discover hotspot, authenticate users who join etc. Or in Omada context, we need to

1. Either support PM-WANI internal technical requirements inside Omada App server and make it compliant or
2. integrate with 3rd party Portal Server which will provide the necessary PM-WANI compliance.

Has anyone made this transition or is Tplink doing anything on this front  ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP integration with external 3rd party Portal Server (PM-WANI compliant) in India
2021-12-13 03:31:51

@APRC-P3-Tel I want to help but I haven't heard about this "PM-WANI", is it a portal wifi hold by India gov? All I know is that SDN can support 3rd-party portal authentication, but you will need to install the radius server on yourself. Something for your reference: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2678/

Options
Re:EAP integration with external 3rd party Portal Server (PM-WANI compliant) in India
2021-12-13 04:32:02

@Somnus . Its a regulatory cum network architecture framework which effectively is an unbundling of Omada Hostpot server functionality into functions such as

1. WLAN network management and

2. AAA using portal (plus SMS authentication, user-id-password, etc)

Under this regulatory framework any entity creating a WLAN  Access network (to Internet) using any OEM product for public use (not private) can do 1 without explicit licensing/registration (they call it PDO), but not 2 (they call it PDOA+blah Blah ...). 2 is done by specific entities which have to comply with specific requirements. You may google it as I cannot post external links on this forum. Personally I hate all these non-technical regulatory stuff as it gets in the way most of time of something good/potentially-innovative

So I want to know if anyone on forum has integrated Omada with 3rd Party PM-WANI-complaint PDOA+ in India. I know it can be done using 3rd party portal integration, but want to know if someone has some experience of actually doing it, and whether their is a easy, non-heavy lifting way of going about it like a SaaS service on the cloud which i can just pay for and use.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 873

Replies: 2