How do I configure multiple PPPoE connections using same VLAN ID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-16 16:21:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

Hi,

I do have a GPON modem with 4 ethernet ports. 1st and 2nd ports are basically 2 different ISP connections. Both have their PPPoE credentials and VLAN ID of 35.

I want to connect these 2 connections to my switch and set up PPPoE connection but the problem is this switch doesn't allow me to set VLAN ID of 35 to different connections. It says it must be unique.

How do I do this then? I was successfully able to setup my 1st connection but I can't do the same for the 2nd one since it's missing the VLAN ID.

Options
8 Reply
Re:How do I configure multiple PPPoE connections using same VLAN ID?
2021-12-16 16:40:33 - last edited 2021-12-16 16:42:47

@Fae  This is clearly a bug.. can you forward this to R&D.. vlans are supposedly by port..they could also be bound to a mac address..so I see no reason why what this person wants shouldn't work...

Options
2021-12-16 16:45:56
I called local TP-Link support about this and they told me I can't use same VLAN ID for VDSL connections but my connections are fiber (FTTH), not VDSL and when I told them this, they didn't have much idea and told me to try using Static IP but I don't know how to do that.
Options
2021-12-16 17:01:26 - last edited 2021-12-16 17:04:34

@Tolgahan You can't use static ip, both of your providers use PPPoE ..Yes. it is non-sense, it should use IPoE instead, however many ISP (including mine unfortunately) decided to use this for FTTH too.

If I were to contract one more line from my current isp.. I will have the same problem.. now I never planned to do that, since the backup line ought to be using a different infrastructure to be worth it .

Support person didn't know anything.. 

Options
2021-12-16 17:41:13
Actually I have many different dual-wan routers and switches from different brands and none of them allows using the same VLAN ID for multiple connections. So I'm assuming this is not a bug and maybe we're missing something here.
Options
2021-12-16 18:21:04

@Tolgahan No we are not. this is probably just a missing feature or a way to not complicate things under the rug.. unless the network chip inside is really dumb as there is no ambiguity between vlan x on port 1 and vlan x in port 2.

Now, as a workaround can you change the GPON device configuration so it gives you the PPPOE vlan as native VLAN  into one port out?  

Options
2021-12-16 18:24:38
How do I do that? By default my GPON device connected to 2 HWA routers given by my ISPs and I don't have access to GPON device's interface. I unplugged 2 ethernet cables going into the each HWA device and plugged them directly into the ER605 switch.
Options
2021-12-16 19:21:31
Ok ..and do you have access to the adminostratove interface of at least one of the HWA routers ? do any of them have something that they call "PPPOE passthrough" or PPOE frames to switch ports ? This is most likely your best bet with what you have in hand.
Options
2021-12-17 09:12:17

@Tolgahan 

Here is the similar post you can take a look:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/274820

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1568

Replies: 8

Related Articles