Why is it impossible to make autobackup without PoE on a OC200?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-16 16:40:37
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.3 Build 20210914 Rel.39903, controller version 4.4.6

Hi there,

I decided to migrate from the software controller running on Ubuntu Server to a OC200 hardware controller because it would be a lot easier to manage and update in case of any vulnerabilities come to surface (like the whole log4j thing now). To my surprise I can't set up autobackup without powering it via PoE. Why is this? I understand that I need to add a USB-storage device but I can't get my head around the fact that I need an injector or PoE-switch. I have PoE-injectors but they deliver passive PoE and to my knowledge these won't work. 

Why is that? Why can't I just set up autoback-up? If it has to do with powering the USB-storage, will there be any update coming to allow external storage of back-up files, for example over Samba? With the software controller I could have that folder automatically backed up offsite, with the USB-storage this is impossible. In my opinion the lack of this feature is a serious flaw in the hardware controller. What will happen with my configuration if the OC200 dies? What if the storage dies? What in case of a fire where both die?

Now I'm forced to do manual back-ups every time I make any changes to the network in case anything bad happens.

Again, major flaw in the product. Is there going to be any fix for this? This is literally the only reason yet why I wouldn't recommend Omada to companies and people where having automated back-ups of network configurations are a must-have. Which is a shame as I really like the Omada-platform once you get the hang of it.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Why is it impossible to make autobackup without PoE on a OC200?
2021-12-16 23:42:18 - last edited 2021-12-16 23:43:25

@NHendriks  The reason is that using the micro-USB port to power the OC200 provides insufficient power for backups to run.  You CAN use a POE adapter rather than having to buy a POE switch.  Prior to purchasing a POE switch, I used this POE injector for my OC200 and backups ran fine.

(1) TL-R605 v1.0 Router/Gateway (1) OC200 v1.0 Controller (1) TL-SG2210P v3.20 POE Switch (2) TL-SG2218 v1.0 POE Switch (3) EAP245 v3.0 Access Point (1) EAP225-Outdoor v1.0 Access Point
Options
2021-12-17 07:01:32

Dear @NHendriks,

NHendriks wrote

I decided to migrate from the software controller running on Ubuntu Server to a OC200 hardware controller because it would be a lot easier to manage and update in case of any vulnerabilities come to surface (like the whole log4j thing now). To my surprise I can't set up autobackup without powering it via PoE. Why is this? I understand that I need to add a USB-storage device but I can't get my head around the fact that I need an injector or PoE-switch. I have PoE-injectors but they deliver passive PoE and to my knowledge these won't work. 

Additional information:

This is because the two USB modules on the OC200 conflict and the USB-storage device is not effective when powered by Micro-USB.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-12-17 13:22:20

Additional information:

This is because the two USB modules on the OC200 conflict and the USB-storage device is not effective when powered by Micro-USB.

@Hank21 Interesting.  I thought I had read either here or on Reddit that it was due to the lack of available power from the micro-USB.  However, a USB conflict between the two USB ports makes perfect sense.

(1) TL-R605 v1.0 Router/Gateway (1) OC200 v1.0 Controller (1) TL-SG2210P v3.20 POE Switch (2) TL-SG2218 v1.0 POE Switch (3) EAP245 v3.0 Access Point (1) EAP225-Outdoor v1.0 Access Point
Options
2021-12-17 17:13:37

If it's a USB-conflict then it's bad design, if it has to do with power I can understand. The lack of storing the back-ups externally (like on a NAS for example) bothers me most though. 

I'm not changing a lot of settings and my network isn't complex at all but isn't Omada also targeting businesses where back-ups can be vital? I really can't get my head around this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 690

Replies: 4