The number of clients to be blocked has reached the limit ISSUE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 08:01:32

Hi Guys!

I would like to ask for your help. I'm using Omada hardware controller, a TP-Link 605 Router and more than 10 EAP in our school.

There is a wifi which our teachers use. However a lot of students getting the password. We are blocking them to use the wifi, however lately I'm getting the following message:

"The number of clients to be blocked has reached the limit."

I looked at the blocking list, there are 500 blocked client. So is there way to block more than 500 clients (student) from network other than use MAC filtering?
Options
7 Reply
Re:The number of clients to be blocked has reached the limit ISSUE
2022-01-05 08:28:40

Dear @rg.kszi ,

rg.kszi wrote

I would like to ask for your help. I'm using Omada hardware controller, a TP-Link 605 Router and more than 10 EAP in our school.

There is a wifi which our teachers use. However a lot of students getting the password. We are blocking them to use the wifi, however lately I'm getting the following message:

"The number of clients to be blocked has reached the limit."
I looked at the blocking list, there are 500 blocked client. So is there way to block more than 500 clients (student) from network other than use MAC filtering?

Actually the EAP can only set the maximum of 500 MAC Filters per SSID.

What about setting the Allow List for all teachers?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-07 06:54:57

@rg.kszi For me, It would be much easier just to block an unwanted client from the network, instead of dealing with MAC address lists (allow or not) that's why I'm looking for a solution which allows me to block more than 500 clients from the network. :)

Is there a hope TP-Link raises or (deletes) this limit in the future?

Options
2022-01-14 10:47:35
You could change the WiFi password and communicate it to the teachers. But probably it is time to look for a better authentication mechanism bbased on logging on with a more authoritative identity than the WiFi password. Using the logon/email address of teachers to logon to the network sounds like a more robust method. The downside of this solution is that you will need to provide another authentication option like using RADIUS or a portal. But doing nothing is not an option anyway.
Options
2022-06-24 08:41:36

@Hank21 

Because of this limitation we started using MAC filtering but it has also a limitation as you wrote. We put around 230 MAC address to the allow list and it is growing. I hope someday Omada can raise this 500 limit to 1000 or 2000. :)

Options
2022-06-24 12:39:33 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:21:08

EDIT

Options
2022-06-24 12:42:12 - last edited 2022-06-24 12:45:23

@rg.kszi 

I'd change the password so that those not authorized will not know it.  If the changed password keeps being leaked, find the source of the leakage and correct that issue.  Trying to solve this with any other technological method seems to be overcomplicated and likely doomed to fail.

(1) TL-R605 v1.0 Router/Gateway (1) OC200 v1.0 Controller (1) TL-SG2210P v3.20 POE Switch (2) TL-SG2218 v1.0 POE Switch (3) EAP245 v3.0 Access Point (1) EAP225-Outdoor v1.0 Access Point
Options
2022-06-24 12:47:46 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:20:59

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1375

Replies: 7