TL-SG3428XMP VLAN not passing correctly (and unlicensed TeamViewer piracy)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 16:28:21
Model: TL-SG3428XMP  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0

Hello community,

This is my last hope before I package everyting up and send back to TP-Link (which I may end up doing anyway as their support is abysmal, see further down). This is my first JetStream device (supply shortages meant I couldn't go with my normal vendor).

I have a TL-SG3428XMP purchased under a month ago. Set it up with 5 VLANs, tagged the appropriate ports (desc below). Been working fine up until dec 23rd (last time anyone was in the office). Come in today, and computers are not getting the correct IP address. My VOIP Polycom's are getting an IP from the correct subnet, but any computer I hookup to a port in either VLAN is incorrectly getting an IP from the default VLAN, even though the port is tagged and PVID is correct, which results in no connection and an "The name specified in the network control block (NCB) is in use on a remote adapter. The NCB is the data." when trying to refresh the IP. Would appreciate any help anyone might have.

VLAN Desc

1 System VLAN 10.1.0.0/24 https://i.imgur.com/UGCTZzj.png

10 DHCP Secure 10 VLAN 10.1.10.0/24 https://i.imgur.com/LsUuJhw.png

PVID Config https://i.imgur.com/vE4FrKi.png

As far as support goes, that was an hour wasted I'll never get back. Repeating the same information multiple times, and inability to understand the problem. The kicker was when I specifically asked for a remote support session, and they told me to download TeamViewer. I tried explaining that TeamViewer is _not free_ for commercial use, and is only free for personal use only. The specific rep actually told me point blank "Just click the Personal option and i'tll let you go through". Sorry TP-Link, but I'm not committing software piracy just because you can't properly support customers. Is this the level of support I can expect from this comapny in the SMB space? Does anyone else have positive support experiences?

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-SG3428XMP VLAN not passing correctly (and unlicensed TeamViewer piracy)
2022-01-05 01:55:56

@rickg2 

Any other information you can provide for checking? Is your PC on port 7? Or on the 4/8/21/23?

Port 10 is tagged for VLAN10 while you set PVID for 200? What's the point? A trunk port? When you have VLAN ID for that port, no need to set PVID. That's redundant. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-01-05 07:33:07

@rickg2 

Actually I've the remote experience with tplink support before, and they're quite nice and patient and responsible lol, perhaps there is some misunderstanding there?
For your current problem, can you see if you have changed any settings?
You can also check to see if the firmware version on the device is up to date? If not, you can upgrade to the latest one and try.

Generally speaking, it should be noted that PVIDs are only useful for untagged data on the ingress, and VLAN Config configurations for Untagged/Tagged ports are for egress data.
In fact, you can provide a detailed topology diagram, which will make it easier to locate the problem, because the topology diagram clearly shows which ports are connected to what devices and what IPs are obtained, including where the DHCP Server is in your network.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-01-05 22:36:17

@Tedd404 @Virgo Thank you for your replies.

It was late and it was a self-inflicted wound. I had unintentionally tagged the other ports with the default VLAN instead of only setting the uplink ports as untagged, so my problem was resolved. I do appreciate the attempt at help though.

@Virgo regarding the support, I am willing to not brand an entire department, but their pushing to have me violate software licensing terms has me questioning whether to stay with TP-Link. Do you have any experiences with them pushing for violating software licenses?

Options
2022-01-05 23:24:41
Good to know you've resolved.
ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-01-06 08:38:30

@rickg2 

Congratulations! You solved this issue finally.

As for the software issue you mentioned, here are my own views:
First of all, the support service provided by tplink does not charge us, I think their intention should be to help solve the problem efficiently, not to push pirated software, I don't know what that support agent told you, I have also used teamviewer remote, I don't think it is illegal to choose to accept support remote service for personal use, it is originally an option, of course if you think it is necessary, you can also choose to buy the own license for commercial use.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 859

Replies: 5

Related Articles