er605 doesn't detect WAN port disconnect and doesn't restore connection back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-07 15:50:04 - last edited 2022-01-09 21:12:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

Strange problem detected with newly bought device.

I have 2 WAN links: 

• Wan - Cable modem with DHCP - Primary high speed
  • Wan/Lan - DSL with DHCP - backup link

Router configured with Link Backup and default online detection (auto mode).

Scenario:

Primary WAN (Cable) drops connection (modem restarted).

ER605 properly detects Wan offline and switches to backup Wan.
On the page OnLine Detection I see Wan (primary) is offline - which is correct.

All looks good except Wan connection (Networks->Wan) looks still like connected, and shows IP, mask, etc... It is NOT right as modem is phisically connected, but no internet, it is rebooting or even TV cable disconnected.

In case if modem is physically connected to router, but modem doesn't have internet link (like TV cable is disconnected), router still sees public ( or private if modem gives private) internet address.

Problem:

Cable modem restores connection, finishes restart or TV/DSL cable connected.. But Online detection still shows Wan as offline, and indeed it is offline. I even can not login into Cable Modem via router... Though I know cable modem is up and internet is working - i can connect to it directly and see internet.

The only way to restore connection is MANUALLY click button Connection on Networks-WAN->WAN1.... 
After than router detects that WAN1 is alive again and switches traffic to primary line....

So looks like defect is with detection of WAN offline/online status...

WAN Interface stays in connected status even though internet down. ONLY physical disconnect SOMETIMES detected link down and interface marked as offline and can be restored when physical connection restored. Internet issue (for example upper routing issue) is detected to mark interface down, but no way to restore it back when all is good, except manually. Which defeats purpose of dynamic link balancing/back up.

In my understanding if online detection detected that Wan link is down, it should automatically try to reconnect link again, may be just try to disconnect/connect again till link is up. 

Ideas?

Now Cable Modem (Port WAN) is off, rebooting or Internel ling disconnected.. Online status is correct

On picture below connection status is Connected.. It is wrong. Modem is off or not reachable.  And even modem restores connection after reboot traffic is not sent to it till button Connect is clicked.

At this moment Wan link should try to reconnect, but it doesn't happen. BUG?

Options
20 Reply
Re:er605 doesn't detect WAN port disconnect and doesn't restore connection back
2022-01-09 17:43:30 - last edited 2022-01-09 22:09:49

Update:
Just installed: https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2021/202112/20211214/ER605v1_un_1.1.1_20211104(beta).zip

No changes - same behaviour as in prev version (1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608) -((

Started process of returning device back to seller...

Sorry, tp-link...

Options
2022-01-11 08:02:55

Dear @Vit100 ,

Vit100 wrote

All looks good except Wan connection (Networks->Wan) looks still like connected, and shows IP, mask, etc... It is NOT right as modem is phisically connected, but no internet, it is rebooting or even TV cable disconnected.

In case if modem is physically connected to router, but modem doesn't have internet link (like TV cable is disconnected), router still sees public ( or private if modem gives private) internet address.

Very Sorry to hear that you have this issue, but please note: The status shown in the status screen is based on the physical connection, the online detection screen shows the true online or offline status of the front end, which is the mechanism the router is designed for.

Please wait for more than 2 minutes to check the status of the WAN connection after the modem is back connected, because the mechanism is to automatically check the status of the WAN connection for a maximum of 2 minutes.

If you have done that and still have issue, please try to change the detection's mode to Manual, type in 8.8.8.8 in the Ping and DNS to test.

Before you set it, you can try to Ping 8.8.8.8 to check whether you can ping through.

Best Regards!

Options
2022-01-11 12:00:11

@Hank21 

I tried to wait for online status detection overnight, more than 12hours. No difference, online detection still shows wan as offline.

I tried to use manual online detection with Google IPs, as you advised, and waited few hours. No difference.

I tried to do diagnostic, ping or tracerouute using Wan interface. No result. Don't remembered exact message, but result negative.

Until I manually click button connect on wan config page, nothing happens.

Options
2022-01-28 18:28:21

@Vit100 Same problem with TL-ER7206. I solved the issue with a workaround.

On the DHCP Server (in your case the Cable Modem) you have to adjust the address lease time. 

I have set 2 minutes, each 60 seconds I see in TL-ER7206 logs the following entry: DHCP client lease expired. Began renewing the lease.

Options
2022-01-28 22:17:48

@Daniele_Filippi 

Interesting....

Problem is that Cable Modem interface is soo basic it even doesn't have option for DHCP or IP - it has only couple screens with statistics and thats it...

Options
2022-02-07 03:06:27

Hey, @TPLink

I am still hopping you can fix this issue and I can try again... 

Pls ping me if you have update - I will buy device again ... Really like this device, but defect spoiled everything...

Options
2022-02-09 22:01:31

@Vit100 I have a similar issue, with an even simpler setup;

Prior to this setup i had
NBN FTTN provider == Modem 1 == LAN  ... no issues except model overheating and shutting down so replaced modem
NBN FTTN provider == Modem model 2 == LAN  ... no issues

Changed to add an ER605 to offload routing and also look at the possibility of a backup link and VPN etc

Put the ER 605 in the chain like this

NBN FTTN provider == Modem 2 in Bridge mode == ER605 == LAN

Every now and again (between every 2-3 days and every 2 weeks, average once a week) the connectivity to the internet drops, but the ER605 still says 'connected' (ie WAN Connection Status "Connected". but also gives a local IP address (ie a 192. address) on the connection status page (when its working it should be the providers IP, in this case a 100. address)
The ER605 uptime is perfect, have had no issues, so maybe the dropouts are the NBN FTTN connection dropping but either way by the time get to it, the Modem is fine but the internet is still out. Then, if i go to the ER605 management page and click 'connect' on the WAN page instantly fixes the issue, it reconnects, and i get a correct IP address etc but i would have thought it would try this?

The expected behaviour is for it to try to reconnect.  I have tried manually setting quad 8 as the ping addr but no change in behaviour.
I have set no failover links or anything, and i am on the latest firmware;
I am on hardware ER605 v1.0
I am on firmware 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608

Its like as though there is a setting i have missed, but this is 6 months of testing now, and getting frustrating.
I am going to try a factory reset, and then return it if it still does not work.

Let me know how you get on.

Options
2022-02-09 22:16:26

Yeah, looks like it is issue with tplink...

In my case before I had similar setup, same modems, same IPs, same subnet, but used different router -ubiquity Edge, and all was working perfectly... until Edge router died. -((((..

I would go with it again if it didn't cost crazy money nowadays... I hoped tplink would be mu choice, but no...

BTW, now researching router on raspberry Pi with link backup and load balancing.. Looks promising..

But for sure would use tplink if it worked...

Hopefully devs notice this post and find bug.

Options
2022-02-10 08:25:52

@sereneplace This is obviously a TP-Link BUG. No issues with a Teltonika RUT-950 router using the same architecture.

Anyway you can apply two workarounds:

1) Modify lease time on the modem's DHCP server to 120 seconds

2) Change from Bridge Mode to Router mode on the modem and set a static IP address on the TP-Link

Both the configuration worked for me, but this is not an optimal architecture and I hope to have a fix from TP-Link in the next firmware versions

Options
2022-02-25 14:22:43

I had a similar problem. Details of the cause and solution are as follows:

Cause: My modem by default uses the IP 192.168.0.1, so the ER605 also uses this IP.

Solution: I accessed my modem and changed its local IP to 192.168.10.100, restarted everything and the problem was solved. In the modem, his mode was like Router, and the initial DHCP was like 192.168.10.1 and the final DHCP was like 192.168.10.254.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 7355

Replies: 20