ER605 - Recommended Firewall settings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 23:05:29
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I just got this router.

Haha, I am a novice so please be easy with me smiley

On my Edgerouter, I have default firewall rules to prevent unwanted traffic from WAN coming in.

Would you please help me set up the same rules on ER605?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 - Recommended Firewall settings?
2022-01-11 09:30:09

Dear @Buxtehude ,

Buxtehude wrote

On my Edgerouter, I have default firewall rules to prevent unwanted traffic from WAN coming in.

Would you please help me set up the same rules on ER605?

This router is a NAT device, by default it can not actively access the LAN from the WAN side as long as you have not set advanced settings such as port forwarding.

Please check the similar post to get more details: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/520224

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-11 16:23:33

@Hank21 Thank you so much! Your answer made me read more about how firewalls work in general. 

So I have two more beginner questions.

1. If you call ER605 a NAT device, what would you call Edgerouter? I want to read up more on this topic. 
  2. If ER605's firewall is not stateful, how does the router distinguish random traffic that is trying to come in through WAN vs. data related to my requests like search results?
Options
2022-01-12 06:43:59

Dear @Buxtehude ,

I'm sorry I don't know much about the Edgerouter.
This router is using symmetric NAT, which is used to improve security in addition to IP translation.
You can check the working mechanism of NAT by Google etc.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9234

Replies: 3

Related Articles