EAP225 and QoS - Slow speeds when QoS is disabled

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-12 19:45:17
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I'm scratching my head trying to understand this behavior. 

I have a 60Mbps connection into my house. All systems that are wired to the router (via switches) get the right speed; however, WiFi (as usual) is a different story. 

I expect WiFi to be slower, but when doing tests with speedtest.net or fast.com, I was getting about 15-20Mbps, not even 50% of what I should get. I used the 5GHz band and was standing next to the AP. 

Now, if I enable QoS on the AP, the speeds are what I expect (55+ Mbps). 

Why is it that with QoS enabled (which in my mind is adding some level of processing to each request) I get higher speeds than with QoS disabled (all other things being equal)?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP225 and QoS - Slow speeds when QoS is disabled
2022-01-13 09:12:34

Dear @njarze ,

njarze wrote

I expect WiFi to be slower, but when doing tests with speedtest.net or fast.com, I was getting about 15-20Mbps, not even 50% of what I should get. I used the 5GHz band and was standing next to the AP. 

Now, if I enable QoS on the AP, the speeds are what I expect (55+ Mbps). 

Why is it that with QoS enabled (which in my mind is adding some level of processing to each request) I get higher speeds than with QoS disabled (all other things being equal)?

In general, wireless can only negotiate up to 54Mbps when QoS WMM is turned off, so it is recommended to keep the default setting which is to enable this feature.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:EAP225 and QoS - Slow speeds when QoS is disabled
2022-01-13 14:34:22

@Hank21 

oh... I did not know this was the recommendation. 
Since I am managing QoS for my entire network on another device, I thought this was redundant; hence why I disabled it. 

Thanks to your recommendation to keep it on, knowing that otherwise the throughput is throttled, I will leave it on going forward. 

Thanks! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 936

Replies: 2

Related Articles