CPE210 - Changing IP to match new network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-20 00:04:33 - last edited 2022-01-21 12:53:17
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A few months ago I set up a pair of CPE210s to expand our wifi network to our barn. They work great. But I just got a new router that uses a different default subnet of 192.168.50.x/255.255.255.0 . Now I have to move the CPE210s over to the new subnet. Is this going to pose an issue? The manual talks only about using the 192.168.0.x subnet for setup. I have this (irrational?) fear that the CPE210s can only be used with a standard 192.168.0.x subnet. Assuming I can change them over, do I need to change settings on both the AP and the client?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:CPE210 - Changing IP to match new network-Solution
2022-01-20 10:00:31 - last edited 2022-01-21 12:53:17

Dear @buckthorn,

buckthorn wrote

A few months ago I set up a pair of CPE210s to expand our wifi network to our barn. They work great. But I just got a new router that uses a different default subnet of 192.168.50.x/255.255.255.0 . Now I have to move the CPE210s over to the new subnet. Is this going to pose an issue? The manual talks only about using the 192.168.0.x subnet for setup. I have this (irrational?) fear that the CPE210s can only be used with a standard 192.168.0.x subnet. Assuming I can change them over, do I need to change settings on both the AP and the client?

In fact, not changing the IP address of the CPE will not affect its use, but you will need to repeat the step of setting the static IP of the 0 network segment for your computer each time you log into the CPE's management page.
So if you want to make it easier to access the CPE interface, you can change the CPE IP address to one that is on the same network segment as your router and is an idle IP.
This way the next time you enter the CPE's interface, you won't need a PC directly connected to the CPE to set a static IP to enter the interface, as the devices in your network and the CPE are now on the same network segment.

Of course, if you do not change the IP of the CPE, it will not affect the use of the CPE.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:CPE210 - Changing IP to match new network-Solution
2022-01-20 10:00:31 - last edited 2022-01-21 12:53:17

Dear @buckthorn,

buckthorn wrote

In fact, not changing the IP address of the CPE will not affect its use, but you will need to repeat the step of setting the static IP of the 0 network segment for your computer each time you log into the CPE's management page.
So if you want to make it easier to access the CPE interface, you can change the CPE IP address to one that is on the same network segment as your router and is an idle IP.
This way the next time you enter the CPE's interface, you won't need a PC directly connected to the CPE to set a static IP to enter the interface, as the devices in your network and the CPE are now on the same network segment.

Of course, if you do not change the IP of the CPE, it will not affect the use of the CPE.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:CPE210 - Changing IP to match new network
2022-01-20 13:52:14

Thanks @Hank21 .

I guess what puzzles me a little is that, on my router dashboard, I can see a see device in the barn that is on my router subnet (.50) thanks to the CPEs. But I can't see the CPEs themselves, presumably because they still have IPs that are on the .0 segment. So they're "invisible", but functioning. That's a little hard to wrap my mind around, but not really that important, I guess.

As you say, right now the only thing it affects is if I want to access the management interface on the CPEs quickly and easily. And I think you're saying that I can change the CPE's IP to the .50 segment by doing that initial step one more time. I assume that I have to do this for each CPE, after which they'll both be accessible on the .50 segment. Do I have this right?

Options
2022-01-20 22:02:23

@buckthorn 

What you set in the Quick Setup, LAN IP, that is fallback IP. 

When you configured your CPE, they'll get IPs from the DHCP server(your router). CPE will be in the same subnet w/ your Router. You don't have to match the network. 

That IP in the LAN is for direct access when a static IP is set on your PC. The way you configure your CPE. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-01-20 22:35:56

@Tedd404 Hmm, intetresting. Well that isn't really spelled out any place, unless I missed it. Are you sure? I don't see the CPE on my subnet. Of course right now i don't remember whether I saw them on my subnet previously or not. If that is the case, then (I assume) that I could access the management interface at some address on my subnet. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

Options
2022-01-21 05:28:44

Dear @buckthorn ,

buckthorn wrote

I guess what puzzles me a little is that, on my router dashboard, I can see a see device in the barn that is on my router subnet (.50) thanks to the CPEs. But I can't see the CPEs themselves, presumably because they still have IPs that are on the .0 segment. So they're "invisible", but functioning. That's a little hard to wrap my mind around, but not really that important, I guess.

As you say, right now the only thing it affects is if I want to access the management interface on the CPEs quickly and easily. And I think you're saying that I can change the CPE's IP to the .50 segment by doing that initial step one more time. I assume that I have to do this for each CPE, after which they'll both be accessible on the .50 segment. Do I have this right?

YES, you're right. You may change the CPE's IP as same segment as your router's manually, but note the IP is static IP you set, so you still can not find the CPE in the front-end router's DHCP client list.

If you wanna see it on the router's page, you can change it to Dynamic, but actually it also doesn't suggest do that, because dynamic means the IP may change.

Then you'll need to check it on the router's page every time when you wanna login CPE lol.

Best Regards!

Options
2022-01-21 12:52:56
Got it. Thanks!
Options
2022-07-05 13:13:50

@Hank21 When I changed the IP of the AP CPE 510 and Client CPE 510 to the same IP/ subnet as my home router and the same SSID as my home wireless the WiFi signal went down to nothing. Only the Ethernet was working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1079

Replies: 7