OnePlus 6T phone randomly disconnects from EAP245 and sometimes fails to reconnect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OnePlus 6T phone randomly disconnects from EAP245 and sometimes fails to reconnect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-31 09:13:58 - last edited 2022-01-31 09:15:27
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.4

Hello,

Lately, my OnePlus 6T phone running Android 11 has been disconnecting from my EAP245 randomly while in use. I've noticed this happening when sitting just a few feet away from the EAP245. This happens randomly, and at times the phone remains disconnected for a while. Sometimes, when the phone reconnects, it chooses to connect to an EAP615-Wall which is much further away, on the floor above and in the opposite corner of my house. If I wait enough, the phone might reconnect to the EAP245, but this doesn't always happen. If I disconnect my phone from wifi, and reconnect it, it does end up connecting to the EAP245, but it might get disconnected again. From what I can tell, no other clients exhibit this behavior... but most of my clients are static and are bound to AP specific SSIDs.

A couple of details about my setup:

• Controller - 5.0.30 on Raspberry Pi 4, running ubuntu 18.04
  • Living room (second floor): EAP245v3 - 5.0.4
  • Third floor: EAP615-Wall - 1.0.2
  • Fourth floor: EAP615-Wall - 1.0.2
  • Router: TL-R605 - 1.1.1
  • Fast roaming and AI roaming is enabled
  • All three access points have a 5g only SSID that my phone is connected to
  • The EAP245 has 8 clients connected to 5g SSID and 14 clients connected to a 2.4g SSID
  • Load balancing and force disassociation is disabled
  • both Wall units have transmission strength set to medium.
  • each access point has a specific SSID that I connect static clients to (e.g. smart thermostats, chromecasts, etc)... not sure if this was a bad idea

I'm wondering if there is a good way to determine if the issue is in the Omada setup, or a problem with my phone. Particularly, I'm wondering if there is a way to see if the EAP245 is force disassociating the phone for whatever reason, via logs. Any other debugging guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:OnePlus 6T phone randomly disconnects from EAP245 and sometimes fails to reconnect
2022-02-01 07:44:38

@beepboop Hello~

1. As far as I know, you can see in the log that the devices are disconnected, but you should not be able to see for what reason they are disconnected
2. you can connect your phone to another AP and see if the problem will happen again.
3. since your devices are fixed, you might consider turning off fast roaming and test if the issue goes away.

Options
Re:OnePlus 6T phone randomly disconnects from EAP245 and sometimes fails to reconnect
2022-02-01 07:54:47

@Yannie Thank you very much for the reply. 

I checked the logs but couldn't find anything about clients being disconnected... do I need to enable history on the specific client? I haven't had issues when my phone is connected to other APs, but the majority of the time, the EAP245 is the closest AP to me. Regarding disabling fast roaming, I can try turning it off to see if the issue goes away, but ultimately I rely on fast roaming for when I move around the house with my phone or laptop. 

I will try disabling fast roaming and see what happens and report back.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 453

Replies: 2

Related Articles