Deco mesh with EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco mesh with EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco mesh with EAP225
Deco mesh with EAP225
2022-02-06 21:00:07

I am using a deco mesh system with 2 routers in my house and 1 in a granny flat, which is about 80m from my house. 
we get around 100mbps until there are too many people on devices, then it drops to around 4mbps with black spots all over. 
I have tried running an Ethernet cable to the granny flat, but this has only made a marginal difference. 
We've done it this way as we live rural and are using Starlink since we don't get fibre. 
Would I be able to use a 255 inside the granny flat plugged into the deco router using the cable I have run down there, and move the third deco router back up to the main house?
It won't matter if it is a different network as long as we get a strong connection. 
Would this work?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco mesh with EAP225
2022-02-07 06:41:04

Dear @Schliegel ,

Schliegel wrote

I am using a deco mesh system with 2 routers in my house and 1 in a granny flat, which is about 80m from my house. 
we get around 100mbps until there are too many people on devices, then it drops to around 4mbps with black spots all over. 
I have tried running an Ethernet cable to the granny flat, but this has only made a marginal difference. 
We've done it this way as we live rural and are using Starlink since we don't get fibre. 
Would I be able to use a 255 inside the granny flat plugged into the deco router using the cable I have run down there, and move the third deco router back up to the main house?
It won't matter if it is a different network as long as we get a strong connection. 
Would this work?

Based on the information you have provided, we need to check with you about your specific needs.
Is it because your granny flat has no internet connection and your main objective is to extend the internet from your house to your granny flat?

And the distance between two building is 80m.

If so, there are two options as reference.

1. For long-distance communication, we will recommend you to set a point-to-point connection. Which means you will need two of CPEs plus one AP or wireless router and a clear line of sight.

The connection should be like Router----AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----Another AP.

One CPE should connect to the Main Deco in the main house to extend wireless signal to the other building, while the other CPE should be installed in the other building to receive the signal from the 1st CPE.

As the 2nd CPE will work under client mode which means to transfer wireless signal to wired signal, so it will not broadcast wireless signal.

If you need wireless signal in the other building, you need to connect another AP or wireless router after the 2nd CPE to broadcast Wi-Fi.

Here is the link you can check the products:

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/outdoor-radio/

For more details about this application, you can refer to the link below:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/configuration-guides/common-applications-for-pharos-products/?configurationId=22033 (Point to Point)

2. If you also want an outdoor Wi-Fi between two buildings and also because the distance is a little far, you may also consider using 1 EAP225-Outdoor and 1 EAP indoor products like EAP225 to build the mesh network and no need the CPE.

And you need use an Ethernet cable to connect EAP to your main Deco's LAN port inside the house and the distance far from each other need be less than 60m.

As you will also want WiFi in another building, we recommend using two EAPs and above to ensure performance.

Here is the specification of this product:

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/outdoor-ap/eap225-outdoor/#specifications

Because this EAP supports mesh feature, to establish the mesh network, you will need to connect one EAP to the router/switch via Ethernet cable, and the other EAPs will be able to wirelessly connect to each other.

With the mesh network, you just need to power on the other EAPs, and they will not need to connect to the router/switch via Ethernet cable.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-07 08:00:32

@Hank21 

Thanks for the response. 
Yes I am trying to extend Wi-Fi to the granny flat as it has no internet connection. 

The smallest distance from each corner of each house is only 30m. 
But the Ethernet cable which I have running from our main Deco is just over 100m 

Can you please clarify which distance will need to be less than 60m? Is that only for the outdoor 225 and the indoor 225. Or is that our main deco from the granny flat?

Option 2 I believe will be best since we already have the Ethernet cable running to the granny flat. 

But we don't really need outdoor Wi-Fi. 
Would I be able to just get an indoor 225 and plug that directly into the Ethernet port in the granny flat which is going to our main deco?

Options
2022-02-09 05:49:06

Dear @Schliegel ,

Schliegel wrote

@Hank21 

The smallest distance from each corner of each house is only 30m. 
But the Ethernet cable which I have running from our main Deco is just over 100m

Just like you mentioned, if you only use one EAP225, and connect it to your main Deco with 100m cable, it is not recommended.

Firstly, if you use the original POE adapter to power this EAP, then the cable just support 60m, even though you can use a POE switch to power the EAP, the cable can support 100m, but the performance also can not be guaranteed because the distance is too far.

Secondly, it is suggestion to set one EAP225-outdoor between main Deco and EAP225, and use the Mesh function as I said in last messgae.

Thirdly, if you can make sure the distance between your house to your granny house only 30m, and you can use the short cable(eg.30m) to connect to the EAP225, then only one EAP is OK.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-09 07:53:32

@Hank21 

I would struggle to change the cable to 30m as all the cables are in the walls. 
I would struggle to move the main deco closer to the granny flat. 

If I did the outdoor 225 with an indoor 225, would I need to plug the outdoor 225 into the Ethernet cable, and could that manage the 100m cable distance?

Options
2022-02-10 04:59:17

Dear @Schliegel ,

Schliegel wrote I would struggle to change the cable to 30m as all the cables are in the walls. 
I would struggle to move the main deco closer to the granny flat.

If I did the outdoor 225 with an indoor 225, would I need to plug the outdoor 225 into the Ethernet cable, and could that manage the 100m cable distance?

If you would like to use outdoor 225 add a indoor 225, then the topology should be

main deco LAN port-----Outdoor 225(with a cable less than 60m)>>><<<indoor 225>>><<<clients devices.

In this way, you need to use the Mesh, it means the indoor 225 connect to the outdoor 225 wirelessly.

And please note you will need to configure the Mesh network on the controller.

So you need to download a software controller or purchase a hardware controller like OC200.
Here is the specification of the OC200: https://www.tp-link.com/search/?type=smb&q=OC200&t=

Normally, it is suggested for you to run the controller all the time.

You can check more detailed information about mesh network in the following link: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/
Here is a guide to set up mesh network: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2949/

Best Regards!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1029

Replies: 5

Related Articles