Can't connect to the home server where the controller is running through OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't connect to the home server where the controller is running through OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-07 09:24:04 - last edited 2022-04-01 06:11:30
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Hi all. I have a setup with an R605 router, managed by a software controller running on my home server. The local LAN is in the 192.168.1.1/24 range. There is "Client-to-Site VPN" OpenVPN, where clients get addresses from 192.168.3.1/24 pool. When I connect through the VPN, I can ping and access any machine within the network, except the one where the controller runs. There is a static route - see picture. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Options
3 Reply
Re:OpenVPN client can't connect to specific IP
2022-02-07 14:10:30

@ZdenekM 

There is no need of static route so this can you remove?

I think you have to look at firewall rule on server running controller. 

add a rule that give 192.168.3.0/24 access to server.

/shberge

Options
2022-02-11 12:23:15

@shberge Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure about the static route, but it is now removed. I added the rule on the server (iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.3.0/24 -j ACCEPT) but nothing has changed.

Options
2022-04-01 06:09:39

With the new controller version (5.1.7) it is possible to set the VPN IP pool the same as my standard pool, which is 192.168.1.1/24 - so I have done it in hope that I will be able to connect to my home server (where the controller is running) from outside. But it didn't help. I don't think it is a matter of firewall rules on the server - before buying TP-Link stuff, with exactly the same settings, I used to have a VPN server on that machine, and the connection from outside worked without any problem. So I'm suspecting that there is something wrong with the controller or router. I can't even ping the server when connected through the VPN but I can connect to any other machine in the network. Just not the one that is the most important :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 585

Replies: 3

Related Articles