Mesh Network with EAP245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh Network with EAP245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh Network with EAP245
Mesh Network with EAP245
2022-02-12 18:00:44 - last edited 2022-02-14 01:04:38
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys,

I currently have one EAP245 and a modem/router from my ISP broadcasting the the same SSID using band steering. 

The issue that I have is when I'm roaming around the house, my device will disconnect and connect to the other network. I'd like to modify my network to be a true mesh network.

To do this, would I require an additional access point and shift it to mesh settings. I'd like the access points to be hard wired (the wires are already installed). But i'm confused on how to set-up the network.

Would I connect both access points independently or do i use the bridge port on one of the EAP's to feed the other? How do I assign one EAP as the root EAP (do i use the OMADA software controller?)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Mesh Network with EAP245
2022-02-13 16:31:46 - last edited 2022-02-14 01:04:38

@Ferinthul .

Check this guide.

You will need an additional EAP to build a mesh network and you'll need a controller (software or hardware).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-16 17:44:40

Disable the Wifi on your ISP router and add a second EAP. Ideally both EAP's would be ethernet or MOCA connected.  Use MESH as a last resort.  Also run the Omada controller software or appliance to better manage STA roaming (and it's required for MESH).

Finally, disable Band Steering.  It causes more problems than it solves.  Create separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5GHz, and join your modern devices only to one of them (the 5GHz).

Options
2022-02-17 23:49:33 - last edited 2022-02-17 23:50:52

@JSchnee21 

Thanks for the replies on this... I've recently bought a second EAP245 and disabled my modem/router wifi and am using the omada software/cloud controller to manage the network. Both APs are hard wired. I'm fairly impressed with these access points and find them well priced for their performance.

I'm using the mesh setting and everything seems to be working well. I'm not sure what you mean using the mesh setting as a last resort. If I don't, won't I have connectivity issues when walking throughout the house?

I've also had success with band steering... What issues have you noticed it causes? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 549

Replies: 3

Related Articles