Unstable Internet Connection with VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-13 09:25:39
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Hello,

I am still facing issue with unstable internet connection when I am using L2TP/PPTP connection and it is really annoying one. This issues still persists from SDN V4 and ER605 FW1.0.x. Now I am using latest Linux Controller v5.0.30 and ER605 FW 1.2.0. I am using 2 PPTP and 1 L2TP/IPsec client-to-site connection and 1 L2TP/IPsec server. I am unable to download files through web browser which takes longer times (30 minutes and more). Internet connection is not maxed out (I have 100Mbit connection and download is using 5MBit). These connection drops does not occur if I disable client-to-site VPN. Does ER605 V2 or ER7206 suffer with this issue?

Options
43 Reply
Re:Unstable Internet Connection with VPN Client
2022-02-13 11:23:42 - last edited 2022-02-13 13:35:01

@Libik 

I do not know if it is the same problem but I have been working with tp-link support for several weeks now,

my problem is that every time a site to site vpn tunnel or l2tp tunnel disconnects or reconnects all devices on LAN lose internet for a moment. the same applies to the controller that disconnects completely from tp-link cloud, but it does not seem like tp-link understands the seriousness of this, all real time application disconnect as well, so for me this has created a lot of problems.

there has been a lot of home office and teams have been used a lot but this freezes, Microsoft always on VPN disconnects, there is a lots of general usability that it does not seem that tp-link takes seriously.

in addition to this the new router firmware is very slow, site to site on ER7206 is now only about 20-30 Mbps it should handle 291 Mbps

When all VPN is disabled everything work without problem.

Try to enable Alert all VPN connect and Disconnect and se if there is a connections between your problem and VPN connect / disconnect

EDIT:

I tested a little more.
so I did a copy test with FTP from Internet when I copied a file, then I reconnected IPsec site to site VPN tunnel,

then the transmission was immediately interrupted. imagine if this had been a company with 500 employees working over Citrix, some transfer files many sitting in Teams meeting. some sneak away and play games, more and more are on Microsoft always on VPN and intune. I would have had big problems with these customers if I had had tp-link routers in the network. it's bad enough at home.

When VPN reconnect this happened, Error loos connection.

So tp-link !!!!

Options
2022-02-13 20:44:32
I have tried some of your suggetions and it seems that connection is lost when router reconnected VPN. This is really major problem and also it shows that VPN connection is very unstable. I am unable to copy more somtehing which takes more than 30 minutes. TP-Link please fix this. I am offering collaboration to investigate the source of the problems if your R&D teams wanted to.
Options
2022-02-13 21:04:09

@Libik 

it's good I'm not alone with this problem anymore.smiley

I have been trying for several weeks and get tp-link to understand this without success, they simply can not detect bugs in software, not even simple obvious bugs. this is also one of the reasons why there are so many bugs going on time and time again, and they cant recreate even when we told them and show them. 

And now they do it again with the latest update. VPN is worse than ever. not only unsable but speed is near zero.

but maybe you can contact support and try to make them understand. Unfortunately, I have not made them realize the problem. but now we are at least two who have discovered this.

Options
2022-02-14 07:52:44

Dear @Libik ,

Libik wrote

I am still facing issue with unstable internet connection when I am using L2TP/PPTP connection and it is really annoying one. This issues still persists from SDN V4 and ER605 FW1.0.x. Now I am using latest Linux Controller v5.0.30 and ER605 FW 1.2.0. I am using 2 PPTP and 1 L2TP/IPsec client-to-site connection and 1 L2TP/IPsec server. I am unable to download files through web browser which takes longer times (30 minutes and more). Internet connection is not maxed out (I have 100Mbit connection and download is using 5MBit). These connection drops does not occur if I disable client-to-site VPN. Does ER605 V2 or ER7206 suffer with this issue?

Based on your information, the download speed can reach 5MBit, it is normal, 5MBit is approximately 40Mbit.

And here is the datasheet on the official website you can refer.

You can try testing this with a PPTP/L2TP unencrypted VPN, the speed should be much faster.

As for ER605 V2, the VPN speed performance is roughly 4 times better than the V1.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-14 07:59:10

Dear @shberge ,

shberge wrote

I tested a little more.
so I did a copy test with FTP from Internet when I copied a file, then I reconnected IPsec site to site VPN tunnel,

When you do this test, did this FTP also connect to VPN?

After you reconnected IPsec site to site VPN tunnel, can it recover the connection if you do nothing?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-14 08:30:19

Hank21 wrote

Dear @Libik ,

Libik wrote

Based on your information, the download speed can reach 5MBit, it is normal, 5MBit is approximately 40Mbit.

And here is the datasheet on the official website you can refer.

You can try testing this with a PPTP/L2TP unencrypted VPN, the speed should be much faster.

As for ER605 V2, the VPN speed performance is roughly 4 times better than the V1.

@Hank21 

If you read this one more time you se that this is not a speed issue but VPN issue. 

Options
2022-02-14 08:34:04 - last edited 2022-02-14 08:44:31

@Hank21 

I know you have asked @shberge but we both are facing same issues.

I was downloading direct from internet (not from VPN site) and it does not recover and downloading crash and I have to download it again, but it is not possible to complete because it takes approx. 1 hour and connection does not stand this long (tried many attempts). Without VPN connection I can download the same file without any problems.

I know that VPN has 40MBit trhoughput but I was downloading file directly from the internet, not from VPN site - if I am downloading file from remote VPN site, i can achieve 3MB/s - I know that I do not have VPN speed issue. 5Mbit was only mentioned to show that internet connection is very little utilized.

I have checked log and VPN connection is every hour reconnected - this is really big number and it corresponds to be unable to download file which takes more than hour.

I have tried to contact support twice (about 6 month ago) but with no respond.

Options
2022-02-14 08:40:27 - last edited 2022-02-14 08:51:47

Hank21 wrote

Dear @shberge ,

shberge wrote

I tested a little more.

After you reconnected IPsec site to site VPN tunnel, can it recover the connection if you do nothing?

Best Regards!

@Hank21 

Off cause FTP transfer is not in VPN tunnel, and recover depend on applications, som do other not.

I have already a case with support that started for a long time ago but they don't se the problem with broken internet sadly. this bug do VPN useless and LAN is highly unstable.

as @Libik also mention.

Options
2022-02-14 09:15:38

Hank21 wrote

Dear @shberge ,

shberge wrote

I tested a little more.

Best Regards!

@Hank21 

Easiest way to se what happened is tplinkcloud that is real time applications, when VPN reconnect controllers behind tp-link routers disconnect for a wile on both side of VPN tunnel.

to provoke this you can enable or disable a VPN tunnel, press refress in tplinkcloud there is no autorefresh, when working with VPN in cloud this happend so there is problem as you see.

Options
2022-02-15 09:00:08

Dear @Libik,

Libik wrote

I was downloading direct from internet (not from VPN site) and it does not recover and downloading crash and I have to download it again, but it is not possible to complete because it takes approx. 1 hour and connection does not stand this long (tried many attempts). Without VPN connection I can download the same file without any problems.

I know that VPN has 40MBit trhoughput but I was downloading file directly from the internet, not from VPN site - if I am downloading file from remote VPN site, i can achieve 3MB/s - I know that I do not have VPN speed issue. 5Mbit was only mentioned to show that internet connection is very little utilized.

I have checked log and VPN connection is every hour reconnected - this is really big number and it corresponds to be unable to download file which takes more than hour.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding of your question earlier, could you please provide a screenshot of your log to show the problem?

1. Did this problem occur after you upgraded the router's firmware?

2. Based on your description, you have several VPNs set up in your network, what exactly are they?

Have you tested exactly which VPN is enabled to cause this problem?
Or does it only occur when all VPNs are enabled?

3. When you download files using the internet, is the VPN transmitting large amounts of data at the same time?

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4846

Replies: 46

Related Articles