POE switch stuckin 'adopting' or 'disconnected'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-17 22:51:35
Model: SG2210MP  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

I recently installed a new Omada network. 

• OC200 controller
  • TL-R605 router
  • TL-SG3428 switch
  • TL-SG2210 POE switch
  • 2 x EAP610 access points

Router connects to the 24-port switch, which connects to the 8-port POE switch, which powers the EAPs and the OC200.

Initially the setup of this went well. Then the TL-SG2210MP POE switch started to randomly disconnect from the Omada controller, but the attached devices remained powered and connected. Powering off/on the switch, or even the entire network did not help. The POE switch started to drop out more frequently, and finally never connected anymore. 

So after some time I pressed the 'reset' button on the front panel. The switch appeared again in the Omada controller as 'Pending'. I then pressed the 'Adopt' button. At that point, the switch got adopted, configured and connected, but 5 minutes later it switched back to 'adopting' and it had been at this status now for quite some time. It also now has an IP address which is not in de DHCP range of one of the VLANs (it should get a fixed address in the 100 range, just like the other devices.)

Running Omada controller firmware 5.0.30.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Is this a problem of the switch, the router or the controller?

Options
5 Reply
Re:POE switch stuckin 'adopting' or 'disconnected'
2022-02-18 09:35:21

Dear @wimbo,

wimbo wrote

Router connects to the 24-port switch, which connects to the 8-port POE switch, which powers the EAPs and the OC200.

Initially the setup of this went well. Then the TL-SG2210MP POE switch started to randomly disconnect from the Omada controller, but the attached devices remained powered and connected. Powering off/on the switch, or even the entire network did not help. The POE switch started to drop out more frequently, and finally never connected anymore. 

So after some time I pressed the 'reset' button on the front panel. The switch appeared again in the Omada controller as 'Pending'. I then pressed the 'Adopt' button. At that point, the switch got adopted, configured and connected, but 5 minutes later it switched back to 'adopting' and it had been at this status now for quite some time. It also now has an IP address which is not in de DHCP range of one of the VLANs (it should get a fixed address in the 100 range, just like the other devices.)

Running Omada controller firmware 5.0.30.

Based on the image you provided, it looks like the switch is not getting an IP address from the DHCP server, as 192.168.0.1 is the default IP of the switch.

We suggest that you can check the IPs of the devices in your network to make sure there are no IP conflicts.

Also, can you briefly explain your VLAN related settings?

Can you draw a diagram of Network Topology simply?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-18 10:18:31

@Hank21 , thanks for the response. Indeed, it looks like the switch does not get an IP address. I had an IP reservation entry for its MAC address for 192.168.100.3, but this gets not assigned. It is also not used by any other client.

I have the following VLANs with corresponding 192.168.xxx.yyy address ranges

- 100: default

- 1: IoT and home automation

- 11: regular users

- 21: guest users

- 31: VPN

1, 11 and 21 are linked to their own wifi SSID.

This is my network topology:

Related or unrelated problem?  I found that the router hands out IP addresses by default from the 100 range for all clients, irrespective of any DHCP reservations in the range of another VLAN. That is, unless the clients are physically connected to a port or SSID with a specific VLAN, and then the correct IP address is handed out. Seems like a bug to me, but not sure if it is related to this problem. 

Options
2022-02-21 05:54:32

Dear @wimbo  ,

wimbo wrote

@Hank21 , thanks for the response. Indeed, it looks like the switch does not get an IP address. I had an IP reservation entry for its MAC address for 192.168.100.3, but this gets not assigned. It is also not used by any other client.

Related or unrelated problem?  I found that the router hands out IP addresses by default from the 100 range for all clients, irrespective of any DHCP reservations in the range of another VLAN. That is, unless the clients are physically connected to a port or SSID with a specific VLAN, and then the correct IP address is handed out. Seems like a bug to me, but not sure if it is related to this problem. 

May I know VLAN Interface you set is on the router or on the switch?

Did you set the ports between R605 and SG3428, between SG3428 and SG2210MP, between SG2210MP and EAP all Tagged ports?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-21 07:58:18

May I know VLAN Interface you set is on the router or on the switch?

Did you set the ports between R605 and SG3428, between SG3428 and SG2210MP, between SG2210MP and EAP all Tagged ports?

@Hank21 , all the ports between the devices are set to the built-in 'all' profile, indeed.

Options
2022-02-22 06:43:53

Dear @wimbo

wimbo wrote

@Hank21 , all the ports between the devices are set to the built-in 'all' profile, indeed.

Address reservation does not take effect probably because after you reset the switch, the switch maintains a static IP 192.168.0.1 by default.

You can try to disconnect the switch from the front-end devices, only connect a PC to the switch, and then set a static IP 192.168.0.20 to the PC, try to use 192.168.0.1 to enter the switch's interface.

Then change the switch's IP to dynamic so that it can automatically get the IP from the front-end.

Best Regards!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1997

Replies: 5

Related Articles