TL-SG3428X - With a static IP, how do you set the gateway? PC's with Static get Weird IP's etc.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG3428X - With a static IP, how do you set the gateway? PC's with Static get Weird IP's etc.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-18 12:08:08
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20210128 Rel.56556

Hi,

Fritzbox modem/router on 192.168.2.1

Replacing an unmanaged 24 port TP-Link.

Wanting to set the  Intel X520-DA1-82599EN Chip on static 192.168.2.4. (255.255.255.0)

If I do, my PC that has always been on static 192.168.2.2 gets a strange IP & subnet assignment?

Clicking details gives a completely different IP in a different range all together (don't have a note to hand) & subnet 255.255.0.0

Looking at PC network properties, definately 192.168.2.2 with 255.255.255.0. so how it can get a different set I have no idea, never seen before.

I have a solution but prefer to fix the TL-SG3428X, especially if I move away & want access from a direct connected PC without a DHCP server to test etc.

My fix at the moment is to make the TL-SG3428X get via DHCP & router assigned it the Set IP. not a bad solution.

2 possible reasons as far as I can tell.

1) I think most likely because the TL-SG3428X does not have a gateway set. Don't know why not a obvious setting under IP, Subnet.

I read to add + secondary, but if I try to put 192.168.2.1 it says already exists. Don't know what else try.

2) I am using a new network card so I have SFP+. 10GTek based on Intel X520-DA1-82599EN Chip, DL lastest firmware from Intel.

Perhaps it is something to do with this but the settings all seem pretty standard.

The fact the PC is fine on static when the TL-SG3428X is DHCP make me think to do do with the Switch.

Be nice to know if I am missing something, any advise?

Also bit annoyed to see a V.2 has been out for several months & I got a V1 from broadband buyer a few days ago.

Don't need anything really fancy or extra capacity but did not think they released version without a fairly good reason.

Small query, can't get it to use ntp time. Tried a variety of IP's, always says can't get from NTP server.

Thanks I/A

PS

Also, perhaps standard but seems daft that you need a rs232 cable to factory reset. surely a easier built in way. I have had to order, hope won't need but lost www access & wanted to start from scratch.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-SG3428X - With a static IP, how do you set the gateway? PC's with Static get Weird IP's etc.
2022-02-19 10:27:34

@Bignose21 

Follow up,

little more research. Will always refer to Bits & not bytes

Moved the nic Intel X520-DA1-82599EN into a different PCIe16 slot, before I think was 2-3Gbps (bits) now full 10Gbps

I think was sharing with graphics

Both PC A & B have same 10Gtek X520-DA1 network cards and as above seem to have max or v.close to max when self testing.

I assume but not sure, when you iPerf3 on same PC as server & client it is going via the switch?

iPerf3 on PC A, server & client (so to itself myself) = 10 Gbps (bits)  

iPerf3 on PC B, server & client (so to itself myself) = 7 - 9 Gbps (bits)  

iperf3 client ------------------------------------------------iperf3 server

PC A >>> fibre >> TL-SG3428X >> DAC >>> PC B  = 2 - 2.5 Gbps

in reverse slightly different, 2 Gbps, not really getting above.

I would have expected better than that as nothing else in between, there are other devices in the standard RJ45 ports but perhaps 10 at most & fairly sure not giving any problems.

I have not really changed much on the TL-SG3428X.

Should I expect better, any advise.

turned on loopback detection not sure if anything else I can setup/view.

latest firmware V.1

Thanks I/A

Options
Re:TL-SG3428X - With a static IP, how do you set the gateway? PC's with Static get Weird IP's etc.
2022-02-22 13:18:38

@Bignose21 

If you set the switch's IP to static, it is recommended to set it to the same network segment as the router but not to conflict with any other device's IP, which means that your switch's IP should be an idle IP.

As for your switch wanting to get time from NTP, you need to set the gateway, see this post for details.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options