Unknown routing in routing-table in logs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-19 10:43:36
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Good morning,

I was looking through my logs and I've found a strange entry in the routing table:

The IP-address belongs to a school community in Tampa, Florida while I am in the Netherlands. I don't recognize port 'eth1.6' either.

I don't have any routings set-up either, the only one I have is the following:

Anyone got any idea where this routing in my table might have come from?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Unknown routing in routing-table in logs
2022-02-22 11:35:54

Dear @NHendriks ,

NHendriks wrote

Good morning,

I was looking through my logs and I've found a strange entry in the routing table:

The IP-address belongs to a school community in Tampa, Florida while I am in the Netherlands. I don't recognize port 'eth1.6' either.

We hope this similar post can help you learn more details:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/506156

Best Regards!

Options
2022-02-22 16:15:51

@Hank21 it doesn't actually. The 169.x.x.x IP that is discussed in the other topic is a virtual IP and also used as APIPA. The IP I'm referring to is an actual IP-address belonging to an organisation in Tampa, Florida while I'm in the Netherlands and didn't add any routing-rules which would add such an IP-address.

Options
2022-02-23 06:40:49

Dear @NHendriks

NHendriks wrote

@Hank21 it doesn't actually. The 169.x.x.x IP that is discussed in the other topic is a virtual IP and also used as APIPA. The IP I'm referring to is an actual IP-address belonging to an organisation in Tampa, Florida while I'm in the Netherlands and didn't add any routing-rules which would add such an IP-address.

May I know the version of your controller?

Have you set up advanced features such as VLAN Interface or VPN on the controller?

You may try upgrading the R605's firmware version to the latest one 1.2.0.

Best Regards!

Options
2022-02-23 16:44:38

Yes, I have set-up multiple VLANs with ACLs, no advanced options on them like Option 60 for example. I also have one VPN server profile, using OpenVPN. My controller software version is 5.0.30 running on an OC200 with firmware version 1.14.3 Build 20220112 Rel.64116. Last weekend I've updated the router to 1.2.0.

Options
2022-02-24 06:13:32

@NHendriks I think it is still the "virtual" IP for multi-VLAN routing. The trick is, if you connect the Router's WAN port to another router's(let's call it Router B) LAN local network (Router B without Internet), and try tracert(trace route) the Router B's IP address , you will still see this "IP"  shown as the hops. It can't be the real IP since there is no Internet only in local network. 

Options
2022-02-24 07:18:17

@NHendriks but if it's a "virtual IP" shouldn't it be in the proper subnet as designated by IANA (talking about the APIPA-range) and not some random IP-address of a community in another part of the world? I'm connected directly to the network terminator of my ISP. I do have a second router connected via WAN as a 4G back-up connection on WAN/LAN1.

Options
2022-02-25 05:39:57
Basically, you can use ever IP-Address-Range you want in your private network, including the public IP. Tplink just use it to make a "bridge" between WAN and all local LAN networks.
Options
2022-02-25 06:18:35

@Somnus I still think that's a weird way of doing it. There are plenty of private IP-addresses that TP-Link could've picked but instead they pick some public ones which might cause some IP-conflicts in the process because that's how networking works. There are millions of non-public IP's to choose from and yet, TP-Link chooses some public IP. I find that hard to believe.

Options
2022-02-25 07:14:47

Hello @NHendriks ,

i agree with you. That's no private adress. You are right  with the school community.

I personally would delete the route, change my routers password and check what is happening the next view days.

If there is se tup a Network under Lan according to this ip, i would also delete that.

Greatings

Options
2022-04-16 06:48:52

A couple of months have passed but still no solution. The software upgrades didn't help with this issue either. I have no rules or something set-up for data to go this IP-address and TP-Link fails to come with a proper answer. Very disappointed..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 10