POWER CUT - now OC200 and EAP225s aren't talking to each other!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-20 12:01:17
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Same setup as previously with 4 x EAP225 and one OC200 controller.  After a lengthy overnight power cut of Friday, the hardware controller lost its cloud connection and I couldn’t get it back through local or cloud admin.  So I reset the controller with its reset button.  I successfully attached the controller to cloud, but it seems to have lost all the configuration details.  The 4 x APs are still working and we can connect to the 3 SSID we have across those 4 devices.  However, these show as configured by another controller.  I had taken a backup in the autumn but can’t find it – and I don’t want to have to build the SSID and settings from scratch again.  I've tried forgetting the controller from Cloud and repeating, but get same problem.

Is there anyway to get the hardware controller to learn the settings from the existing Aps?  Help would be appreciated!

Options
5 Reply
Re:POWER CUT - now OC200 and EAP225s aren't talking to each other!
2022-02-20 12:28:25

@KWTPGC I never reset controller, as it is central management unit. If you do reset your controller, it means you do reset also your SSID's and everything else. However, not everything should be gone and as it seems you did not enable auto backup and you have no backup of your latest settings, you will have to set SSID's if they do not match current settings. In real, you just need SSID and password which you can check on any of your devices where it is saved in case that you did not write it down or you simply do not know it.

As last, if you did not reset your switch and router, then you should be able to access it in standalone mode with device's password, when cloud controller is not running, then your devices should be accessable in standalone mode, there you can check if you can see your settings, same goes for managed switch if you have one.

After you have backed up your settings and written it down, set it in cloud controller, for the time until you have set it just leave your devices in standalone mode.

If you recovered old backup which did provisioning and is readapted, then I guess there is no way for you to retrieve/check latest settings, only those from march.

Hope that helps

Options
2022-02-21 09:52:13

Thanks for the reply.  I think one of the issues might be the controller was given a different IP address after the power cut, as the DHCP service went faulty.  All four APs are still working, as are the SSID s .  I will try your suggestions thank you. The strange thing is the APs seem to still to think they are managed by a controller but a different one!

Options
2022-02-21 14:54:50

@KWTPGC you are welcome, if controller gets different address, then something is wrong, because if you did not setup dhcp reservation, then your dhcp offered one and there is normally timeline for how long that lease is active, I guess your power outage did not last for 12 hours which is often set as default lease time. Make also sure that your dhcp does not assign all addresses of the subnet, as you will have dhcp reservations like cloud controller at least, you do not want dhcp server to assign your controller address to some other device, for home networks my dhcp range includes normally not more than 50 addresses, as all known have dhcp reservation.

However, cruical point for you is to enable autobackup and to have ssh access for the case that you need to ssh into device, in current case both could have prevented to purgue settings.

One additional note about backup, imagine your cloud controller breaks, but still under warranty and would be replaced within two weeks, what will you without controller for two weeks? Here a backup plays huge role, as example you could use any of your local win/linux pc's to run a controller, having SoC boards like raspberry pi or rock's is of additional advantage, but your pc and notebook would do the job too for 2 weeks. You can then restore your full backup to any of new controllers, just make sure that your new controller has same ip address or if you do not want it, after restoring make sure you set correct controller ip in your lan settings.

Having backup means ability to quickly reapply your network on any other device, saves time/money/anger/headache, this is nicely resolved for omada in my eyes and I've tested exactly this before buying the rest of the hardware when I first time setup omada.

Options
2022-02-21 15:02:17

Thanks once more.  In fact the power was out due to Storm Eunice;  I think we had at least 15 hours without power.  So - hopefully i will get things sorted later this week and make sure i have backup in future.. @btx 

Options
2022-02-21 15:31:12

@KWTPGC wow, sorry to hear that, hope everybody is well. 15 hours is quite long time, but I guess you had other things on mind during that period. Yes, with a backup you can restore it anywhere at any time, in fact, I've set up few different setups for different scenarios, exported settings and whenever I need to setup new network, I do it with such backup. You do use oc200 and it has usb, connecting usb stick is already enough, if anything happens, you just take that stick. More sophisticated would be as example a cron job on some other device which downloads a backup to a folder which is synced with cloud storage (make sure it is encrypted there, probably easiest with rclone). That way, even if your usb stick is faulty or hopefully not destroyed like a firebrand (or anything else), this happened twice to me, not my house, but networks which I managed. Firebrand would burn down your stick, in those scenarios you would still have your latest backup, howeve, I am fully aware that in case of firebrand the last what one thinks about would be omada.

@Fae on this point I have to mention why I actually do not want to use oc200, despite having one, I would still use rock/rpi4 with own built weatherproof casing, main reason for this are missing required features. As example router, I have no understand that you offer just few dyndns providers, and those are then also not those which are used by majority. I am missing quite many, as example afraid's or simply namecheap which offers dynamic dns with your own domain too, having ability in omada would be quite practical, especially if one uses multiwan and wants dynamic dns for each wan as all are dynamic. I kinda do not appreciate if only available dyndns providers are commercial, I do not see officially any partnership with tp-link, but I would be interested to know if you have some kind of a binding not to offer other services? For the same reason I would want to have at least a crontab in omada, I do think that you cant cover wishes of everybody, but providing a tool which resolves the issue of everybodies wishes is I guess acceptable alternative. Same goes for wireguard, for my clients wireguard compatibility is a must and all clients communicate peer to peer encrypted directly with each other. However, centralized solution for me is to have cronjobs and wireguard, it is installed where controller is and I reach full ISP speed with wireguard, where all of your business routers do not get that performance (except unencrypted of course).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 583

Replies: 5

Related Articles