Auto downgrade after failed upgrade possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-20 13:32:50

If one uses auto update for firmware, is there any process which recovers auto from backup in case that either not all devices are connected or simply failed update/upgrade? I did not run into that issue for now, but I am curious how other resolve it if they do not simply manually recover/downgrade. I doubt I want to even enable it for testing, especially  as I have no physical access to most devices, in case that something goes wrong I need to reset device with reset button, that would not be possible. I guess forced readoption would also not work in case of bad firmware.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Auto downgrade after failed upgrade possible?
2022-02-21 08:31:39

Dear @btx ,

btx wrote

If one uses auto update for firmware, is there any process which recovers auto from backup in case that either not all devices are connected or simply failed update/upgrade? I did not run into that issue for now, but I am curious how other resolve it if they do not simply manually recover/downgrade. I doubt I want to even enable it for testing, especially  as I have no physical access to most devices, in case that something goes wrong I need to reset device with reset button, that would not be possible. I guess forced readoption would also not work in case of bad firmware.

In fact, there are several possible situations for upgrade failure, the most common being an abnormal power outage during the upgrade process causing the product to brick, which needs to be investigated on site, but can usually be fixed by trying firmware recovery.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-21 13:52:48

@Hank21 thanks for reply, please correct me if I interpret your reply wrongly. In short, omada does not auto recover firmware in case that something went wrong. My question was specifically aimed for larger networks, lets say 100+ AP's across different sites and locations. Beside different upgrade strategies (like grouping) are missing, I hoped that somebody tought about it and if lets say one eap fails to upgrade, then all upgraded eap's should downgrade automaticaly. Such things are normaly done when there is no to little usage, mostly weekends in the night (sunday). One cant go to different locations physically in that case and the costs go sky high if one counts that a technician has to drive to 4 locations, just make them 200km from each other and there you have costs multiplified of simply replacing it with new device. This seems not to have been on priority, but upgrade strategies and planning as well as most important recovery are important, at least it means omada can be further improved ;)

Options
2022-02-22 07:14:05

Dear @btx ,

btx wrote

@Hank21 thanks for reply, please correct me if I interpret your reply wrongly. In short, omada does not auto recover firmware in case that something went wrong. My question was specifically aimed for larger networks, lets say 100+ AP's across different sites and locations. Beside different upgrade strategies (like grouping) are missing, I hoped that somebody tought about it and if lets say one eap fails to upgrade, then all upgraded eap's should downgrade automaticaly. Such things are normaly done when there is no to little usage, mostly weekends in the night (sunday). One cant go to different locations physically in that case and the costs go sky high if one counts that a technician has to drive to 4 locations, just make them 200km from each other and there you have costs multiplified of simply replacing it with new device. This seems not to have been on priority, but upgrade strategies and planning as well as most important recovery are important, at least it means omada can be further improved ;)

I'm afraid that it doesn't support this function yet that you mentioned.

This has been already submitted as a feature request to the TP-Link team.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options