Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, shows LAN computers, No internet.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, shows LAN computers, No internet.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-20 16:13:27 - last edited 2022-02-24 03:44:03
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20210113 Rel.35468

Purchased the ER7206 Router for my home for use with Douglas Fast Net Fios.

When they first installed it they didn't add a Router, the guy didn't bring one. I hated the last company's router setup and having to ask permission for the password etc.

This company doesn't care if you use your own router. So I purchased the ER605 because I recently bought a TPLink Extender AC1200 for use when I was at Air BnB that had weak WiFi. Sure enough that was easy to setup so I went ahead with the ER605 as a kind of Router to the switch so I at least had a couple of things.

1. Dynamic IP assignment for the computers on the LAN. With the switch only the PCs could use the network but the Playstation, Smart Tv, and Blu-Ray players, that have all the netflix, youtube, hulu etc... could not see the LAN network nor detect it. So the Router, I assumed, would be able to manage that aspect of the LAN setup.

2. Act as some security for the home internet since having a switch just send signals back and forth was basically an open path and I also use VMs with my remote work and wanted some kind of security with that connection. 

I plugged the Fios output Cat6 into the ER7206 WAN port, 2nd from left, since mine seems to have this extra WAN/SFP port that I am not sure of, and then plugged a Cat6 from the far right LAN port to my computer's ethernet port. I was able to access it from my computer and setup the password and start configuring the Router.

The first thing that baffled me was why it could not use dynamic IP to detect the Douglas Fast Net Fios Modem.  

I had to input the numbers manually in the Static IP drop down setup and then it found the modem.

Once that happened I could see networking signal incoming to the Router.

I could also see two of the computers on my network listed in the DHCP list.

Though, this looked correct, the Router was not allowing internet to get to the computers. 

If I just hook up the switch.. with no Router.... the two PCs and Macintosh, get internet just fine.

If I hook up the Router and it sees the Fios (Static IP only) and the Router tells me it can see the PCs, not the Macintosh, in the DHCP list,

why isn't it sending internet signal to the PCs?

Even my main PC says, connected to ethernet but not connected to the internet in the little WIN10 network status. 

Any idea why it isn't just sending out internet to the PCs?

Seems like this should be the default state of the Router... out of the box... that it is able to dynamically detect the incoming WAN signal..

then... immediately send that out to the LAN ports. I also tried to just have the Router have one LAN to the Switch and then have the Switch send to the rest.

Well, again, the Router could see the PCs in the DHCP list... through the switch... but... no one can get internet if the Router is in the chain... even though all 

information in the Router setup shows that it is getting internet through the Fios into the WAN input and that it sees the two PCs in the DHCP list. 

There must be some default setting somewhere that isn't mentioned in the setup documents that just tells the router.. send this WAN internet signal to the LAN.

I looked at the firewall settings, etc, and didn't see anything that would stop the Router from sending the WAN out to the LAN. 

Thanks for any info or insight. Currently just hooked up the PCs to the switch and Fios modem again so I can post this. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, --- SOLVED-Solution
2022-02-23 21:19:48 - last edited 2022-02-24 03:44:03

@CaseyCBenn 

Ok, I spoke with DFN today. The reason it wasn't working was because DFN allowed up to 3 Public IPs which... was a coincidence to a certain point... in that I had 3 Computers running from the switch. 

Today he set the Static IP to Dynamic and we set up the Router over the phone. 

It now runs through the Router. The Router has the 3 PCs coming out of the LAN ports and the Netgear Switch out of the last TPLink LAN Port.

The Switch has the Playstation3 and Blu Ray player connected to it.

It is all working.

The TPLink Router is assigning IPs when I hook up the new devices. 

So technically... it was plug and play... it was just that the ISP needed to know it was a dynamic link setup vs a static link setup. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, shows LAN computers, No internet.
2022-02-21 13:06:47

@CaseyCBenn 

In fact, it seems to me that the WAN connection type is determined by the ISP, and you would be wise to check exactly which one your ISP is offering you, and you can also confirm this with a PC connected directly to the front-end modem.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, shows LAN computers, No internet.
2022-02-22 05:51:48 - last edited 2022-02-22 07:50:57

Yes, the ISP open tomorrow and I can check that with them...

... but... even if it is a static IP incoming.. which I could still setup and did...

.... why then doesn't the Router ... rout... the signal to the LAN outputs?

Seems silly I can hook up the switch and send out signal and then I plug in a more pricey "business" level router and it isn't able to send the internet out without some tinkering.

If I was selling a router product I would at least make sure its default state would be to send whatever signal it receives from a WAN line OUT to the LAN outputs

and not require a person to find the little gotcha hidden in a setting somewhere that makes it do the very thing it is designed to do by default.

It should be doing that out of the box and then, of course, if I need special Firewall setup or what not, I could maybe run a smart setup program that would guide me through the setup process... asking me multiple choice questions and pressing a "next" button. Scanning for inputs and outputs and then just doing what it is made to do.

Hopefully this is just a silly simple thing that I am not getting right and will be resolved easily. 

Options
Re:Router Sees Fios connection with Static IP only, Can't do dynamic, --- SOLVED-Solution
2022-02-23 21:19:48 - last edited 2022-02-24 03:44:03

@CaseyCBenn 

Ok, I spoke with DFN today. The reason it wasn't working was because DFN allowed up to 3 Public IPs which... was a coincidence to a certain point... in that I had 3 Computers running from the switch. 

Today he set the Static IP to Dynamic and we set up the Router over the phone. 

It now runs through the Router. The Router has the 3 PCs coming out of the LAN ports and the Netgear Switch out of the last TPLink LAN Port.

The Switch has the Playstation3 and Blu Ray player connected to it.

It is all working.

The TPLink Router is assigning IPs when I hook up the new devices. 

So technically... it was plug and play... it was just that the ISP needed to know it was a dynamic link setup vs a static link setup. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 3