EAP660HD association timeout issue with Apple devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-26 16:43:14
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Looking for some help with a new EAP660HD and problems with multiple Apple devices.  I'm using the latest controller 5.0.30 and the latest firmware on the AP 1.1.0.  What happens is generally after a power blip once everything comes back up none of my Apple devices will connect to the 5GHz SSID on the AP.  I'm using WPA2/WPA3 key and I have separate 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs.  I have iPhones, M1 MacBook, and Apple TVs - all of them have problems connecting. 

Other non-Apple devices seem to connect fine, and the Apple devices usually seem to be able to connect to the 2.4 band when this happens.  The iPhones will just say "Can't connect to network", and the MacBook will repeatedly ask for the password to be re-entered.  The SSID is visible, it's just when it tries to connect.  Also when this is happening on the Omada controller I see "Association Timeout" going up every time I try to connect a device.  Usually things start working after a while, or after 3-4 reboots of the AP.  I've even tried resetting to WPA/WPA2 instead, and that does not help either.

Has anyone else encountered this?  I find it strange it's only Apple devices having this problem.  Is this a known issue, or possibly a firmware / beta available that can address this?

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP660HD association timeout issue with Apple devices
2022-03-02 19:22:45

Hi  @WackyWRZ1 ,

I think I'm seeing a similar issue, but I chalked it up to bugs in iOS 15.3.x  Honestly since Apple implemented the whole virtual MAC address BS their TCP/IP Stack has been really wonky.

Recently, I've found that sometimes my Apple devices just won't connect to the WIfi, or won't connect right away and I have to end up either deleting the SSID from the Apple device and re-adding it, or power cycling the Apple device to get it to re-join.

I don't think I've seen this issue related to an Omada AP restart (though I haven't tested that recently).  Also on EAP660HD (used to have 225's and 245s for many years).  On current (Dec) 660 firmware as well.

I honestly think this is an Apple issue.  But it's annoying none the less.  I've seen in on iPhone 13, 12, and older iPad's and iPad Pros leaving me to think its an iOS issue and not a Wifi 6 power save or similar issue.

-Jonathan

Options
2022-03-03 04:07:01

Hey @JSchnee21,

The problem is also on my MacBooks and AppleTVs (I suppose TvOS is fairly close to iOS anyway).  The deleting the SSID and re-adding is also what I end up having to do, and i seem to keep having to do it more often. 

The only reason it makes me think it's the EAP is that my previous AP (Ruckus) did not ever show these issues...  And my iPhones are XS and XR - so those aren't even WiFi6 compatible...  One MBP is WiFi 6 and the ATVs are as well. 

Options
2022-03-03 22:37:12
In my environment it came down to the default DTIM value. Apple recommends a DTIM of 3 for all of its products. Consumer routers have a default of 3. Various prosumer and corporate/enterprise managed access points range in default DTIM of 1, 2 or 3. Omada's default DTIM is 1. Changing the DTIM to 3 greatly reduced the amount of Association Timeout errors for Apple devices on my networks. It didn't completely get rid of them, but it went from over 400 a day to below 5 a day. As another aside, Apple devices also don't seem to play well with Fast Roaming
Options
2022-03-04 17:48:20

I've modified my DTIM value to 3, we'll see it has any impact on the number of failed associations.  While I was at it, I also enabled Airtime Fairness.  In the past, on my 245's I had some connectivity issues when I enabled this.  But on my 660's so far it seems okay.  Speeds are better, too.  Up to ~700 Mbit/sec DL and UL application level (Ookla to CloudFlare) from my iPhone 13 PM (Wifi6 / 2x2 / 80 MHz) on Gig fiber (FIOS) with about 30ish other mixed / mostly idle STA's associated to the same AP.

Very pleased with speed, range, and stability of the 660's thus far.

The new (yet to be released) 6xx firmware sounds like it will have a lot of new features:

1) Better 1x1 and 2x2 STA traffic balancing across 4x4 AP's

2) DFS Channels for the USA

We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2915

Replies: 5