Accessing the ARP Table for unicast Wake on LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-27 06:58:32 - last edited 2022-02-27 07:32:33
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone, I am a new TP-Link user (I am in the process of learning how TP-Link Hardware and Software works), and I am not a networking engineer so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I am simply a user upgrading my home network to Omada.

I have the ER605 and TL-SG2218 so far, no APs yet (I will buy some in the future), but this isn't about APs. So essentially, I have my VPN set up so I can log in from two other locations. Everything works, Remote Desktop, encryption, DDNS and all that nice stuff, so far so good. But there is a problem, I can't wake up my Server from WAN, which kind of defeats the purpose of all this. Well, I can, but only for a couple of minutes after I send it to sleep or hibernate, oh, and the Omada controller also lives on said Server. I know this has to do with the ARP cache removing the server's IP to MAC automatic matching entry from the table, so when the ER605 unicasts the WoL messages from WAN to the Server IP, the Server wakes up as long as the Router knows which IP that MAC is bound to. I also know that in standalone mode, both the Router and Switch have ARP tables and you can easily bind IPs to MACs, you can also update ARP tables via Telnet or SSH, I've seen people do it. But if I adopt the Router&Switch into the controller, the standalone interfaces are not accessible anymore. I also can't SSH or Telnet into them as long as the Omada controller has them, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the ARP table from the controller. If I forget the devices so I can access the standalone interface, they're getting reset for some reason and that's a painful experience. They are not holding onto the settings that the controller has provided for them, which doesn't make sense to me as long as I know for a fact that I do have the features I need, and if I can't find them in the controller, but I have them in the standalone interface, I should be able to log out of the controller and into the interface so I can use the features I need and have, right?

Everything else works just fine, but it's important for me to be able to wake computers up from the WAN side, especially this server, and again, I -can- do that, it works, but only for a few minutes after the Server has stopped being active.

I'm hoping for some guidance on how to do this, any of the following variants will work for me:

Access the ARP table through SSH.

Access the ARP table through the controller (ideally).

Access the ARP table through the standalone interface by forgetting the device, updating ARP, re-adopting device.

Access the ARP table without forgetting the device, if there is a way.

Access the ARP table through Telnet without being forced out of the device because "it's been adopted before".

Forward the WoL messages from WAN to the Server LAN's broadcast address. 

Some other Wake on Lan procedure I'm not aware of. 

Thanks, Sergiu.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Accessing the ARP Table for unicast Wake on LAN
2022-03-01 08:32:53

@LFS92 I also can't find any way to reach ARP table on omada controller.  I think you may try standalone mode first and confirm this issue is related to ARP table aging time, then report the bug/requirement to tplink official

Options
2022-03-01 09:12:43 - last edited 2022-03-01 11:26:54

@Somnus 

Indeed that would be the next logical step, however I'm currently not at our family house and I won't be there for a while (which is why I was rushing to get it working). Dropping the Router or Switch from the controller means they get reset and that takes some time to set everything back up again. Both the Router and the Switch have configurable ARP tables in standalone mode, but I've pressed every button and looked in every menu in the controller and I can't find the ARP table so I can tell the Router which MAC address belongs to the IP it's supposed to send those WoL messages to. 

Here is what I -can- confirm. I can confirm that I -am- able to wake up the Server from the WAN side, the Router does forward the WoL packets over to the right IP and right port, and the switch does forward the frames over to the Server, and it wakes up just fine, from the WAN!!! But only for a few minutes after the Server turns off. This just screams ARP table dropout to me... (which is not a bug btw, this is normal behavior for ARP, which is why I'm strongly inclined to believe this is a dynamic ARP entry that needs to be set to permanent) I'm not there to confirm it, but...

I happen to have this broken Asus AIO router that has a broken AP in it, but it also happens to have Wake on LAN built into it. So I improvised, by plugging that Asus router in, as an AP only device so I can access it and I'm remotely logging into it for the sake of using that wake on LAN feature haha!

Options
2022-03-02 04:57:43

@LFS92 Genius! Glad you can find a solution!

Options
2022-03-02 08:00:57

@Somnus 

Hello! Yeah, I was able to improvise! I still wish to be able to set permanent ARP entries though (not just for the sever), because right now forgetting and re-adopting devices in the controller re-sets them, meaning you lose your ARP entries either way, you kinda have to give up on the controller altogether for this. It would be a shame because it's an awesome system... 

Options
2022-03-03 07:22:35

LFS92 wrote

@Somnus 

Hello! Yeah, I was able to improvise! I still wish to be able to set permanent ARP entries though (not just for the sever), because right now forgetting and re-adopting devices in the controller re-sets them, meaning you lose your ARP entries either way, you kinda have to give up on the controller altogether for this. It would be a shame because it's an awesome system... 

Hi  @LFS92 ,

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I will report the requirement to our D&R department.

Regards

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1080

Replies: 5

Related Articles